Organizing Music

I have albums listed in Windows Media Player by types (SHows, Jazz, etc.)  Once loaded on my Fuze, all albums show up listed alphabetically.  When I go to the soundtrack category on Fuze the listing shows performers, not album titles.  How do I fix this?

@greenjob13 wrote:
I have albums listed in Windows Media Player by types (SHows, Jazz, etc.)  Once loaded on my Fuze, all albums show up listed alphabetically.  When I go to the soundtrack category on Fuze the listing shows performers, not album titles.  How do I fix this?

tryreading through this

It sounds like your tags are OK, but the Fuze has a fairly set way of listing albums. I’m pretty sure its the same way iPods and other players list them, too.

MP3tag is a great free tag editor–better than WMP.  After you install it, make sure you set it (under Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg) to write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 tags.That’s the only setting you need to change, and you just need to do it once. 

(In case you’re wondering, ISO-8859-1 is how the characters are displayed, but you don’t have to worry about it. The other choices, UTF, are a different format that gives the Fuze trouble on some characters.) 

Then fix your tags so the Fuze is happy. Under File,  Change Directory (or as a shortcut, CTRL-D)  to find your album. See if the information is in the right place. It sounds like Artist and Album Title are already OK. You can highlight all the files and set the Genre tag to whatever you like–Shows, Jazz, etc. Then on the Fuze you can play everything in the same Genre.  It will take a little bit of time to re-tag the albums, but once you do, they’re done and they will work exactly as you want them to. 

The automatic tags that Windows Media Player gets are at the mercy of whoever put them online. Sometimes they are sensible. But sometimes they are goofy. For example, a soundtrack album might have a different Artist name for every song. Or, for instance, I have a Roy Orbison anthology and it has different artist listings for his early groups (the Teen Kings, the Wink Westerners), for collaborations and for the Travelling Wilburys. Hip-hop albums will have a different artist listing for every Rapper feat. Singer if those were placed in the Artist field. It’s really luck of the draw. 

As you add new albums, check and fix the tags before you transfer them. Even if all the tags look right, highlight and Save them anyway so they will definitely be ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.