Only 3.75gb availabe and can only load 800 songs?

so i downloaded a few songs and went to transfer around 830 songs on to my sansa- after i deleted everything i had on it. the combined size of the songs was around 3.73gb, and i have 3.75gb of space on my sansa. first off its advertised as 4gb mp3 player… so wheres the other .25gb? i guess i need to buy a mini sd card?!

You don’t get all the space with a hard drive either.  THere is overhead just in having a file system, the difference between total space and formatted space.

Look on the bright side. At least you CAN buy a microSD card to upgrade the memory of the Fuze. Many players DON’T have this option AND they have exactly the same issue you mention.

There are different math formulas at work plus the fact that ome of that space is ‘reserved’ for other uses like operating/system files, RAM, etc.

3.75 available GB sounds right with a 4GB drive.

I just bought an external drive to transfer my back-up music files from my computer’s hard drive. Out of 160GB, I only have 148 available. Now THAT’S a big difference. 12GB! It would be nice if the marketing matched the product a bit more, but I can see the reasoning behind not wanting to advertise a product as a 3.75GB or a 7.78GB mp3 player, or a 148GB hard drive.

Kinda loses something.

Imagine how many gigs you ‘lose’ on a 1 or 2 TB drive! :dizzy_face:

@tapeworm wrote:

There are different math formulas at work plus the fact that ome of that space is ‘reserved’ for other uses like operating/system files, RAM, etc.

3.75 available GB sounds right with a 4GB drive.

I just bought an external drive to transfer my back-up music files from my computer’s hard drive. Out of 160GB, I only have 148 available. Now THAT’S a big difference. 12GB! It would be nice if the marketing matched the product a bit more, but I can see the reasoning behind not wanting to advertise a product as a 3.75GB or a 7.78GB mp3 player, or a 148GB hard drive.

Kinda loses something.

I magine how many gigs you ‘lose’ on a 1 or 2TB drive! :dizzy_face:

I have several 1 TB drives from various manufacturers and the average available space is 931 GB.

@tapeworm wrote:

It would be nice if the marketing matched the product a bit more, but I can see the reasoning behind not wanting to advertise a product as a 3.75GB or a 7.78GB mp3 player, or a 148GB hard drive.

Kinda loses something.

ONce you get into commodity disk drives the manufacturer doesn’t know how many partitions or what file system will be on it.  Often they DO in the small type give the space assuming a vanilla windows setup.

do not forget to delete the songs, pictures and the video that are on your device when you bought it! you can NOT see or delete them in the windows explorer - if you want to get this space free, you have to delete them in the fuze itself! maybe thats the reason for you missing space!

@snoopythedog wrote:
do not forget to delete the songs, pictures and the video that are on your device when you bought it! you can NOT see or delete them in the windows explorer - if you want to get this space free, you have to delete them in the fuze itself! maybe thats the reason for you missing space!

You can see them, but you have to enable viewing hidden folders, and then match the usb mode in which they were added. I was able to delete my preloaded files in explorer, no problem.

interesting!

is there anything left to delete in the explorer when i delete it in the fuze itself or is it the same?

which usb mode is the correct to see the files?

thanks for the information!

@snoopythedog wrote:

interesting!

is there anything left to delete in the explorer when i delete it in the fuze itself or is it the same?

which usb mode is the correct to see the files?

thanks for the information!

All thats left after you delete it on the fuze is an empty folder.  Using Explorer is just faster. I believe it was MTP mode, I dont remember tho. 

thanks again!

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes, different companies use different numbers for their memory measurements. For example, Linux usually sees one kilobyte as 1024 bytes (unless the distro managers modified the distro to see it differently), where as some companies see one kilobyte as 1000 bytes. This can cause conflict in measuring the amount of space a device has. It is true that some of the 4GB is used for RAM, system files, and such, but some of that 4GB can actually be non-existent depending on your operating system.

Here is the reasoning behind saying one kilobyte is 1024 bytes or 1000 bytes:

Technology likes to double. So, for example, 1 byte doubles to 2 bytes, which doubles to 4 bytes…8 bytes…16 bytes…32 bytes…64 bytes…128 bytes…256 bytes…512 bytes…1024 bytes. However, the prefix “kilo” means 1000, so this causes conflict in varying companies/sources. So depending on who manufactured your device, and what your operating system is, you might not have the correct amount of space listed when you look at it on the computer.

To prevent confusion, someone (I don’t know who, but I read about it on Wikipedia) came up with the idea of using the term “kibi” instead of “kilo”. One kibibyte will equal 1024 bytes no matter who you talk to, where as one kilobyte might equal 1000 bytes OR 1024 bytes depending on who you talk to.

@pikidalto wrote:

Technology likes to double. So, for example, 1 byte doubles to 2 bytes, which doubles to 4 bytes…8 bytes…16 bytes…32 bytes…64 bytes…128 bytes…256 bytes…512 bytes…1024 bytes. However, the prefix “kilo” means 1000, so this causes conflict in varying companies/sources. So depending on who manufactured your device, and what your operating system is, you might not have the correct amount of space listed when you look at it on the computer.

They are called “weasel bytes”, heard one day at a marketing meeting:

“hey if we sell this HDD and say it is 30 mega bytes by using 1000 instead of the true 1024 then we will sell more HDD that the company’s that tell the turth and sell them as 27 mega bytes”

“hey yeah… people will think ours are bigger and better but in reality we are just ■■■■”

So it was, they were ■■■■ and other companies had to follow or lose sales, now today you buy a 4 “gig” player and lose almost 7% of space to weasel bytes.

First of all I was able to load 923 songs onto my Fuze. You might want to convert your music to WMAs in order to conserve memory, because mp3 files tend to be the bigger file format for music files. WMAs are smaller, and produce pretty good sound quality. Also I have 100MB of memory left, so they were most likely saying how many WMAs that the Fuze can contain.

micro SD card isn’t a bad idea either, but Windows is just screwy like that, it never shows the correct amount of storage that any storage device can have.

There are 8 bits in a byte
1024 bytes in a kilobyte
1024 kilobytes in a megabyte
1024 megabytes in a gigabyte
Multiply them and you get. 1073741824 Bytes per gigabyte

3.75 GB =  3.75GB * 1073741824 = 4026531840 Bytes

If you calculate things in 1000’s as does MS.  your technically getting your 4 billion Bytes

Don’t forget there is a database, firmware and other things on your player that needs space :slight_smile:

Things like this make me laugh  :wink: LOL

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-01-2009 05:53 PM