OK.... Talk about using this SSD in an un-usual location.......

This will be a long post, and I appologise, but it’s the only way to explain what I want to do…

I have 4 of LG-3410A home DVR… Use it to decode ATSC, QAM, and SD Cable  channels.  Unit origioinally shipped with TV-Guide, which was used as part of Automatic Program Decoding and Scheduling… but this version TVG (V7, by the way) was SD OTA transmitted decoded only… Which long since has gone away…  I have since determined which capacitor to cut out so that TVG or any noise it may decode, will be disabled… and it still acts like a VHS Tape Deck What Channel (75.11) Start Date (4/25/2017), what time Start (8PM), what time end (10PM)… 

And it will record QAM SD or HD, or ATSC OTA flawlessly!!!

Furthermore, I’ve updated the power supply to provide years of trouble free operation…

Furtheremore… And it is This that I’m asking about here…  If found out how to replace the Quickview IDE drives with Non-Quickview IDE drives, and upgrade still to SATA using a converter… and use not only SATA HD but SATA SSD’s…

This is where the Ultra II SSD comes in…

So I have converted many (4) LG 3410a’s  from Quickview IDE to SATA drives (and I have tested it with a Sandisk Ultra II 480Gb last year, while I was restoring a laptop where that SSD now resides)…

So I already know it now will work… That’s not my question…

It’s not Windows, it’s a custom OS… so there will be no utility program to run…

My question is:  With no Trim function to run,  via an OS that is supported, or, utility (Dashboard) that can run to oversee the drive…   As long as it’s being written to as if it was a HD,  what do you think the long term results may be…

I can tell you that multiple SATA HD have not show any issues …

You can put any size HD (IDE or SATA with a SATA/IDE converter), and the 3410a OS (whatever it may be) will automatically determine the size of the new HD or SSD and it’s format utility format’s the drive with NO PROBLEMS!!!

I can take a HD or SSD from one 3410a and put it in another 3410a and it sees the HD or SSD as a formatted drive, and flawlessly plays any found recordings on it…

The IDE drive speed is not excessive, so SATA Drives via a IDE/SATA Converter, are not being taxed… they are actually loafing!!   I did try SSD (Sandisk Ultra II and Micron) and both worked flawlessly on SATA1converter speeds…

I have 4 different units all with IDE/SATA converters in them, increasing the HD & SD Record times up to 10 times what the stock 120GB IDE ‘Quickview’ drives used to support…

Only issue is There is a 45 Second Timeout that occurs during power up, as the OS attempts to read the full file table off the HD or SSD…  once I get 20 or so recordings on this larger drive… it reaches the timeout… and won’t use the drive… Work Around for this is: Leave unit Powered ON…   

Reason for adding a larger drive… To record more SD or HD Programs… Via ATSC or QAM HD or SD Cable…

So…

Just nosy…