OGG Vorbis Support?

@rayone wrote:

I’m afraid that we can forget OGG/FLAC support for Fuze and any other current Sansa model (except Clips OGG). Here you can read another technical support response (to my yesterday mail):

“As of now, we do not have an MP3 player that supports FLAC format and we do not have any update information that will allow the player to recognize this format. About the OGG only the Sansa Clip is the one that can support this file and we do not have update information as well if there will be any firmware to allow the sansa Fuze to recognize and play this file.”

OGG/FLAC supporting Fuze was probably only a (still alive!) rumor… which is bad… and sad…

This message states that as of now, no SanDisk players support FLAC out of the box, and as of now there are no updates available for any player to add this function.

SanDisk’s plans to add Ogg and FLAC support were shared by Jan Hauer, the Director of Product Marketing, at a conference in London three months ago. This support is not a rumour, but it is also not an officially-announced plan.

There is no new information in this email about the state of Ogg Vorbis and/or FLAC support on the Fuze.

I can confirm OGG and FLAC. 

Ogg and Flac is great.  How about Speex?  I have my collection of audiobooks in that format.

Not likely.

Hmm. Looks like you’ll have to transcode your audiobooks. Something like this should do the trick (in bash, at least):

cd /where/ever/your/audiobooks/are

for f in *.spx; do outfile=echo $f|sed -e 's/spx/ogg/'; (speexdec $f - |  oggenc -o $outfile -); done

Assuming ‘.spx’ is the extension of your Speex files. I’ve never come across files in that format. Until now, I thought Speex was only used in realtime applications, i.e. VoIP and things like that.  :slight_smile:

sol6, the firmware update 1.01.15a will give you OGG and FLAC support.