Ogg Format

Notice a lot of folks are using Ogg format on the clip. What is the suggested quality setting for this to save trying out all 10. Need a preferred that most use. And what is jJoint and Force - I know what stereo and mono is but unfamiliar with these terms. I have not tried it but i assume the newest upgrade will play the Ogg but I need to rip or convert some files to this format to try it out.

@bbrev7 wrote:
Notice a lot of folks are using Ogg format on the clip. What is the suggested quality setting for this to save trying out all 10. Need a preferred that most use. And what is jJoint and Force - I know what stereo and mono is but unfamiliar with these terms. I have not tried it but i assume the newest upgrade will play the Ogg but I need to rip or convert some files to this format to try it out.

I use 5.5 and 6 depending on the purpose. Thew other stuff I have no Idea, at least not without context.

@bbrev7 wrote:

That is like asking what flavor of ice cream you prefer.  You may like vanilla, and I may like chocolate.  Only you can answer that question.  Everyone’s ears are different, and we have different capabilities.  Try a few of the different settings and find out was is acceptable to you.

In essence, joint stereo compresses the 2 channels together instead of independantly.

Basic joint stereo compresses common and difference signals L+R and L-R (the way FM stereo works) instead of compressing the channels independently. THis will usually give better quality for the same bitrate.

Some encoders also take advantage of stereo imaging models showing that for some freqencies the difference in arrival time is important for locating a sound, for others it is mostly difference in amplitute, and yet others don’t really contribute much to location.   

For Ogg vorbis, the aoTuV encoder tests out better than the original from Xiph. The latest, aoTuVb5.7 is available at www.rarewares.org

Message Edited by donp on 03-27-2009 06:12 AM

is the aoTuV  ogg vorbis encoder available for mac ?

There are pointers for mac, linux, and win here

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Recommended_Ogg_Vorbis

Message Edited by donp on 04-13-2009 04:25 PM

Thanks for the link!

I downloaded the:

Mac OS/X binaries

Users of Mac OS/X can download the following pack of tools:

These seem to be Unix files. I understand that Mac o.s. X is based on Unix.  
When I double click on them, they open up in a terminal window.

I have not done anything in a terminal window since I abandoned DOS/Windows a million years ago.

Are there any links to websites/forums with directions on how to use these Unix binary tools on a Mac?

Is it supposed to be self explanatory?

Is there a way to run this as a normal Mac GUI app instead of in a terminal window?

Thanks in advance, to anyone who can help with this.

Happy trails…