Off Topic - Recording record albums

I have a LOT of vinyl record albums (many that were never released on CD) that are in various conditions, ranging from OK to pristine that I would like to “rip” to computer files (preferably WMA, but would consider other formats if the “ripping” software was good). I have the turntable, and the connections to the computer, but am wondering what “ripping” software is available that is good. I have seen lots of programs out there that range from $20 to well over $200, and am not sure if the cheap ones are worth the time, or the expensive ones are worth the $$. Many of the albums have songs in them that either have a pause in the song, or get very low in volume (they were recorded that way on purpose) and have heard that this can cause problems for the software in determining when one track ends and a new track starts. Thanks, Eric

If this is off-topic (and it is), why wasn’t it posted in the Off-Topic Discussions board? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I didn’t see the off topic forum when I looked.

Thanks,

Eric

Do you have one of those USB turntables? Don’t they come with their own software?

You might try Audacity. It’s free and you can save the file in .mp3 format. There’s a lot of tweaking and special effects options as well. It’s what I use to merge separate tracks into one “gapless” track on albums that are recorded that way.

@ericbr wrote:
 Many of the albums have songs in them that either have a pause in the song, or get very low in volume (they were recorded that way on purpose) and have heard that this can cause problems for the software in determining when one track ends and a new track starts. Thanks, Eric

Yup, automatic track detection is  prone to calling the track  “over” too soon.  

I record a whole side at a time and use CDwave to split the tracks by eye, ear, and time.  That’s pretty much all it does is record and split, so use something else for normalizing, fixing clicks, etc.  You use the mouse to drop a marker at each track split.  WHen you’re done it saves them all to numbered (optionally named) files.

Message Edited by donp on 01-14-2010 09:30 PM

Thanks.  No, I don’t have a USB turntable, I am going to use my existing turntable and sound card.  After doing more research, I found a number of places on the web that discuss turning LPs into digital music.

Thanks again,

Eric