Not enough space for music DB Please free 90 MB

Anyone else have this happen? My player is NOT full. 

Hi

I saw that message before.  I had inadvertently highlighted an entire folder containing a greater capacity than was available in the Fuze, instead of one of one of the sub folders containing a single album. When I tried to paste it into the Fuze using MSC I got that message.

axon

Some have mentioned that this may be due to  corrupt files on the player. I guess the solution is to run chkdsk on the player’s drive and choose /r?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

@jk98 wrote:

Some have mentioned that this may be due to  corrupt files on the player. I guess the solution is to run chkdsk on the player’s drive and choose /r?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

JK98

I wanted to ask you how you got the green font.  :slight_smile:

axon

It’s possible that you are receiving this message for one of two possibilities.

Let’s find out which.  To do so, the Fuze needs to be connected in MSC mode. 

If you cannot get to the settings menu, obviously, let’s open a Windows Explorer window on the PC first, to see what’s happening.  Press [Windows Key] + E, or go to My Computer.

If you were using Auto Detect or MTP, turn off the device first.  Slide the HOLD / POWER switch down to the Hold position (orange showing), and hold the << button down while connecting.  The device will pop up in the Windows Explorer window as two drives.  The important step here is to make note of the first drive alphabetically assigned to the Fuze, this drive letter is needed to check the disk for errors.

First, you can see whether you’ve overfilled the Fuze.  Right click on the device, and select Properties.  It’s wise to keep 200MB (at least in my experience) free.  If the device has to happy pink “free” area shown in Explorer, it’s overfilled.

Now for the chkdsk utility.  Chkdsk is a command line (DOS) utility that checks for corrupted files, and can usually fix them.

We’ll need a command window.  Press [Windows Key] + R, or in the Run box, enter cmd and press [enter].

In this new black and white box, you’ll note the spartan appearance of the computer.  Welcome.  You’ve passed through the Matrix (Windows).  Enter chkdsk e: /f where, for our example, drive “e” was assigned to the device.  When it asks if you want to save the results as files, say no.   The /f command is a “toggle” telling the utility to “fix” the errors.

Safely remove your Fuze, and switch the power switch back to the center position. 

Now try booting it up normally!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-14-2008 10:28 AM

@neutron_bob wrote:

If you were using Auto Detect or MTP, turn off the device first.  Slide the HOLD / POWER switch down to the Hold position (orange showing), and hold the << button down while connecting.

What does turning it on like that do?

Message Edited by pelago on 12-14-2008 11:35 PM

This forces the player to start up in MSC mode when connected to the computer.

Thanks. Any there any other similar startup options, holding down other buttons?

no corrupt files however device will not boot.

can’t even format drive because it’s grey-ed out.

i’ve even dumped files - always the same message.

any suggestions? 

Format is greyed out on the PC or in the Fuze interface?

Have a look at the root directory of the Fuze.  What files do you see in addition to the main folder tree?

Did you load the device using Windows Media Player?  We’ll get to the bottom of it one way or another.

Bob  :cry:

greyed-out on wmp and unfortunately i can’t boot my player now.

all files were loaded w/ wmp and currently there are no files on the internal memory

the external memory is about 23% full. 

Remove the µSD card and see if it is interfering with operation…you never know.

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

It’s possible that you are receiving this message for one of two possibilities.

Let’s find out which.  To do so, the Fuze needs to be connected in MSC mode. 

If you cannot get to the settings menu, obviously, let’s open a Windows Explorer window on the PC first, to see what’s happening.  Press [Windows Key] + E, or go to My Computer.

If you were using Auto Detect or MTP, turn off the device first.  Slide the HOLD / POWER switch down to the Hold position (orange showing), and hold the << button down while connecting.  The device will pop up in the Windows Explorer window as two drives.  The important step here is to make note of the first drive alphabetically assigned to the Fuze, this drive letter is needed to check the disk for errors.

First, you can see whether you’ve overfilled the Fuze.  Right click on the device, and select Properties.  It’s wise to keep 200MB (at least in my experience) free.  If the device has to happy pink “free” area shown in Explorer, it’s overfilled.

Now for the chkdsk utility.  Chkdsk is a command line (DOS) utility that checks for corrupted files, and can usually fix them.

We’ll need a command window.  Press [Windows Key] + R, or in the Run box, enter cmd and press [enter].

In this new black and white box, you’ll note the spartan appearance of the computer.  Welcome.  You’ve passed through the Matrix (Windows).  Enter chkdsk e: /f where, for our example, drive “e” was assigned to the device.  When it asks if you want to save the results as files, say no.   The /f command is a “toggle” telling the utility to “fix” the errors.

Safely remove your Fuze, and switch the power switch back to the center position. 

Now try booting it up normally!

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-14-2008 10:28 AM

Hi Bob:

I just tried this.  First off, holding the << button didn’t seem to change the way the player started up; when I connect my player, two new drives do show up, but neither are recognized as an mp3 player.  Anyway, I opened up the command prompt, ran the line you suggested for the right letter drive, and after a long delay got a pop-up that said “Exception Processing Message c00000,b5 Parameters 7b6bf7c 4 5b6bf7c 75b6bf7c”  with the options to Cancel, Try Again, or Continue.  Trying again just yields the same message after another long delay, and nothing happens.  Removed the device, turned it back on, still getting the not enough space error, PC still doesn’t recognize the device, still freezes my PC until I remove the device. 

What else can we try?

If the device identifies as two drives , it is in MSC mode as desired, and not MTP (as a media player).

The chkdsk utility is limited to the actual drive, and will not work in the “virtual” MTP mode.  Be sure to enter the correct drive letter (the first one listed alphabetically) as the target drive to be checked.

Ahh okay, gotcha.  Any idea as to the error message?  I’m positive I’m targeting the right drive; when I plug in my Sansa, I get a J: and K: drive.  I even tried running chksk on the K: drive but that didn’t work (I got a different error message: “Cannot open volume for direct access.”)

Just finished running chkdsk on the J: drive again and I’m still getting that error message.

card’s out - no dice.

The error message you are receiving sounds like a memory read problem, at least an access problem, with the device.  I would try to see if there are any conflicts in the USB bus, by temporarily unplugging every gizmo except the keyboard and mouse of course, rebooting, then trying to see how the Sansa behaves upon reconnect (without other devices connected yet).

Since both the device interface (free 90MB) and the PC are BOTH having issues with the onboard memory, the problem might be that simple: the device itself.

I’d contact SanDisk at 1-866-SANDISK, and pass on your initial findings.

Bob  :wink:

talked w/ sandisk …reformatted device thru my computer.

all is well for the moment.

thanks for hanging in there w/ me. 

I had that same exact thing happen and it’s still happening could you tell me what you did to fix it?

@becca321 wrote:
I had that same exact thing happen and it’s still happening could you tell me what you did to fix it?

If I’m reading it correctly, he formatted it.

@metahed wrote:

talked w/ sandisk …reformatted device thru my computer.

all is well for the moment.

thanks for hanging in there w/ me.