"Not enough space for music DB" but only have Sansa and Rockbox firmware files present

Hope someone can help before I cave in and buy an iPod! Got a Sansa clip zip 4gb with a 32gb sansa microsd. The music I installed was originally ripped for a Rio Karma a looooong time ago so some of the files may not be as the clip would like them. There are about 3000 music files total.

I can’t get either rockbox or sansa firmware to recognise more than 519 tracks. Now Rockbox won’t start and needs firmware reinstalling, plus Sansa saying "Not enough space for music db, free 90MB.

Thing is, I’ve extracted the memory card and there’s nothing but firmware on the device itself… Why does it think there is no space for a music db, and can I do a reset back to manufacturers spec somehow and start again?

Any help is appreciated here!

Dave

The “Not enough space” message doesn’t always mean the player is full. In fact, most of the time it means the files system is corrupted. the solution is to eitehr run ChkDsk or format the player and re-load your content.

The Sansa KnowledgeBase article found here explains it.

Maybe try to reformat it. By the way, doesn’t it have a protection against a disk being full? Like there will be a limit so that it will not affect the boot up process?

@jimmyghd wrote:
Maybe try to reformat it.

Is that not what I already suggested? :confounded:

@jimmyghd wrote:
By the way, doesn’t it have a protection against a disk being full? Like there will be a limit so that it will not affect the boot up process?

Yes. The limit is when it is too full it will display this message. :confounded:

It’s a misleading message. On a Mac, even if you carefully empty the trash, you can still get this. Deleting files is probably NOT the answer.

My solution this time was to open Disk Utility and Repair Disk. That cleaned up the File Allocation Table (FAT) which had a number of problems. Player seems OK without needing a reformat. Sorry, I don’t know the Windoze equivalent any more, but there is one.