Not desperate, just curious...

I bought  a clip in november 08 , my pc was being repaired  so I used a pc in my local library  and there was no problem, I just plugged it into the  usb port and dragged and dropped some music I had with me on a usb stick and downloaded some radio podcasts, easy. Now i’m at home on my own pc and I’ve noticed a couple of things …on the library pc the My Computer page gives a small picture of an actual sansa clip (a nice touch) while on my home pc it just gives a picture of a cartoon picture of any mp3 player…in the library in the Playlist folder I can right click to make a playlist and also see  Playlist file icons, at home there are no icons, the Playlist folder looks empty and if I right click I get View/Arrange Icons /Refresh/Undo Delete…if i right click/properties the sansa clip icon on My Computer it gives a pie chart showing me how much memory I’ve used but on my home pc  right clicking the cartoon mp3 player  just gives me Open/Explore/Format (I have to look on the clip to see how much memory is free) …Small things I know but can I make my pc/clip as user friendly as the libraries ? If it matters my pc has XP pro (not sure about the library pc) and my usb mode is MTP. Thanks. 

@burnmill wrote:

I bought  a clip in november 08 , my pc was being repaired  so I used a pc in my local library  and there was no problem, I just plugged it into the  usb port and dragged and dropped some music I had with me on a usb stick and downloaded some radio podcasts, easy. Now i’m at home on my own pc and I’ve noticed a couple of things …on the library pc the My Computer page gives a small picture of an actual sansa clip (a nice touch) while on my home pc it just gives a picture of a cartoon picture of any mp3 player…in the library in the Playlist folder I can right click to make a playlist and also see  Playlist file icons, at home there are no icons, the Playlist folder looks empty and if I right click I get View/Arrange Icons /Refresh/Undo Delete…if i right click/properties the sansa clip icon on My Computer it gives a pie chart showing me how much memory I’ve used but on my home pc  right clicking the cartoon mp3 player  just gives me Open/Explore/Format (I have to look on the clip to see how much memory is free) …Small things I know but can I make my pc/clip as user friendly as the libraries ? If it matters my pc has XP pro (not sure about the library pc) and my usb mode is MTP. Thanks. 

My Clip is connected in MTP mode.  

Under My computer is shows up with a picture of the Clip with the name “Sansa Clip 8GB”

If i right click it and select properties, I see:

Model Name:  Sansas Clip 8GB

Manufacturer:  SanDisk

Firmware version:  v02.01.16A

Serial Number:   (some long number)

Power source:  Battery   with battery %

If I open it up, i see Internal Memory,  if i right click it and select properties,  I seeL

Description:  Internal Memory

File System:  Generic hierarchical

Used Space:

Free Space:

Capacity:

And the pie chart

Opening the Internal Memory folder, I see:

Folders:   Audiobooks, Music, Playlists, Podcasts, Record, Service

and files:   DevIcon.fil

Setting it into MSC mode:

I see under my computer :   SANSA CLIP (L:) Removable Disk

Right clicking it shows me:  

Type:  Removable Disk

File System:   FAT32

Used Space:

Free Space:

Capacity:

And the Pie Graph

Opening the L: drive   I see:

Folders:   AUDIBLE,  AUDIOBOOKS, MUSIC, PODCASTS, RECORD

and files:   MTABLE.SYS,   RES_INFO.SYS,  SYS_CONF.SYS,  version.sdk

MTABLE.SYS is the database - if you delete this, it will recreate the database when you disconnect the Clip from the PC.   It will say “Refreshing Database”

RES_INFO.SYS and SYS_CONF.SYS if deleted will cause “Refreshing Database” also, just not sure whats contained in them.   Maybe someone can tell me :slight_smile:

DevIcon.fil is the icon file that shows the black Clip icon.

===================

If you are getting a different Icon in MTP mode,  My guess is its based on the drivers windows is using.   You can try some of the tips on the knowledgebase that deals with installing MTP drivers, or reinstalling them. 

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandisk_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=42&p_created=1221328944&p_sid=kil*ufqj&p_brand=sansa

Cheers,

To make things simply,  check your home computer and see if you have WMP11,  if not upgrade to WMP11 and it should install the MTP drivers that show the Device Icon, as well as being able to make playlists from the right click menu.

:slight_smile: