Noob questions - gapless and replay gain

I have looked through the forums, and have found lots of things related to “gapless” and replay gain, but nothing that really explains them in very simple easy to understand terms, so I have the following questions:

1.  When talking about gapless, what exactly is meant by gapless?  Is it gaps of white noise/skipping in a song, or the break between songs?  If it is not the break between songs, then why am I not experiencing it (I have my recording in the “smallest size” WMA format (ripped from CDs in WMP).

2.  Is replay gain used simply to make all of the songs on the player play at the same volume level, or does it do more?

Thanks,

Eric

Gapless is playing the music back as originally intended, which sometimes might be a break between songs but also might be a sliding from one song to another like at a concent, without a break. Just like what you might get with an LP. And yes, ReplayGain “normalizes” the volume–keeps the same general levels of volume, to avoid one song suddenly screaming at you (like some tv commericals might do) where that wasn’t what it was recorded to do.

EricBr wrote:

When talking about gapless, what exactly is meant by gapless?

The opposite of this:

I swear, Michael could eat corn off the cob through a picket fence. :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks,

Eric