non rechargeable batteries

What I like about sandisc is you can use them at high altitude. I’m looking for a new one and they all seem to have rechargeable batteries which is tough to do on an extended trip. Are there other battery options?

FYI, I think most mp3 players now use solid-state flash memory now so they should be fine with shock and high-altitude. This was the great thing about my old 256MB SanDisk mp3 player – solid state memory and it ran on a single AAA battery so I could just keep a few extras in my pocket or buy them as needed. 

Personally, I would recommend you look at the Sansa Clip+ since it has a standard type of plug as well as a microSD card slot.  I have a Fuze and the one thing I HATE is the proprietary port.  I can’t charge it with anything except the OEM cable; the clip+ has a normal mini-USB port so most cellphone chargers should (haven’t tried it though) work with it including the “Emergency” phone chargers that run on normal AA batteries.

Something like this should work on the Clip/Clip+:

http://blkbrytech.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-love-little-check-another-posts.html

When you go to the store, look for this thing in the cellphone accessory section, probably for Motorola or Blackberry phones (I think both use the same miniUSB plug as the Sansa Clip/Clip+)

Alternatively if you really want the features of the Fuze, look for or build yourself a portable charger with a female USB port and carry around the Fuze’s cable.  I can confirm the Fuze will play and charger at the same time, I often charge from a generic USB wall charger.  You just need the Sansa cable to connect from USB-A to the Sansa port.

If you only want mp3’s (not video) I’d seriously recommend you go with the Clip+, if I was looking now I would pick the clip+ over the Fuze.  It has a microSD slot for more memory (this was a must for me - I want to keep this player for a long time) and it also has a standard mini-USB plug so it should be really easy to charge anywhere.

You could get this. It has been recommended highly on the anythingbutipod website. It holds almost double the

power that the Fuze battery holds, and more than triple the power of the Clip+ battery holds.  It comes with a small mini USB cable which would connect to the Clip+, but to use it with the Fuze, you would need to carry the USB cable for the Fuze.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Instant-Charger-Compatible-Devices/dp/B0016Y9R6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260077133&sr=1-1

Another option is Emergency Sandisk Power Charger on Amazon.

Thank you to all three of you who responded to me. I appreciate you taking the time.

I liked the Sandisk mini emergency charger - 2.9oz. and gets me back to carrying a few batteries. You can find batterries even in a south Kyrgyzstan bazaar - electricity is less certain sometimes.

The Tekkeon charger looks like it would be good for shorter travel or climbs in the U.S. or Europe or to keep in the work day pack.

The The Mini USB Portable Energizer® Energi To Go® Blackberry charger is good in that it gets me back to batteries. However it weighs 6.9 oz.

I also appreciate the recomendation for the Clip. I mostly listen to Audible books or music so a simple Mp3 is my ticket. I love being able to stay closed up in a warm bag on a winter mountain trip and listen to a good story. It’s lighter and better than trying to bring books.

Thanks again

You’re very welcome!

Just wanted to point out if you go with a Clip there are 2 versions – the old “Clip” and the new Clip Plus – that is, “Clip+” on the packaging.  Go with the Clip+ if you do, it has a memory card slot (and maybe other new features/bug fixes) that the old Clip doesn’t.  Also (at least here) the Clip+ is a bit cheaper than the old original Clip.

There are plenty of battery-to-whatever charger adapters (as others pointed out) I just linked to the first one I could find.  I’ve seen different shapes, sizes, etc. from many different companies at local stores, it shouldn’t be hard to find one you like at a good price.

The Duracell battery is only 4.2 ounces, not 6.9 ounces. Stepping up 2.4 volts from 2 AA batteries to 5 volts+ probably won’t work that well, and may waste plenty of power. Those 4 AA battery systems seem like they would work much better than the 2 battery ones.

I’m not to tech savvy - Are you saying that the two battery systems provide 2.4 volts but the MP3 uses 5volts and therefore a two battery system won’t fully recharge it?

The external chargers or boosters that use standard easily-available batteries (either rechargable or not) convert the voltage of those cells (1.2 volts for NiMH rechargable or closer to 1.5 volts for alkaline) to the 5 volts that is standard for USB.  The 5 volts on the USB is used to charge the (3.5-4 volts) lithium cell in your music player.

If the external charger uses 4 batteries of 1.2-1.5 volts each, it can supply the standard USB 5 volts (or something close) pretty easily.  If the external charger uses only 1-2 batteries it must use a voltage conversion or voltage-multiplying circuit to get to 5 volts.  Those circuits are not especially efficient, so you’ll get less power from the batteries in the external charger/booster.

The practical tradeoff?  If you were to compare the charge you’ll get using a 2-battery charger/booster to a 4-battery charger booster you’ll typically get considerably more than twice the charge from the 4-battery charger/booster.  In normal operation that would mean that the 4-battery charger/booster will charge your player faster and/or will charge it more than twice as many times as the 2-battery charger/booster.  The 4-battery charger/booster will be bigger and heavier, though.

Important:  For your needs, where light weight and maximum energy at cold temperatures are required (and where battery cost is not nearly as important) I’d suggest using lithium cells in the external charger/booster.  They can deliver MUCH more energy at both normal and low temperatures. A charger/booster specifically designed for lithium cells would be best for efficiency but might not operate well on normal alkaline cells and those alkaline cells might be the only thing available in remote areas.  Lithium AA or AAA versions of standard alkaline cells are powerful and lightweight but are not common merchandise in the 3rd world.

I’m clear about that now! Thank you!

Carrying a few extra lithium batterries is not a big issue. It;s true they are usually not found in the third world. Not all battery operated things accept lithium batteries. I know some headlamps specifically direct you not to use them. I think they produce higher heat. However, they do work really well in cold places.

Thanks again.