No podcast playlist

I just got a Clip + and I am very disappointed and can’t understand why I can’t put an mp3 file with a podcast genre in a playlist. This seems so obvious and simple that it amazes me Sandisk does not allow this. What is the advantage of having the mp3 files put in the podcast genre? The only thing I can see is you can resume playing where you left off on the podcast. This, to me, is not good enough to negate the obvious advantage of a playlist. I am changing the genres of all the podcasts I download to pcast so it will go into the music folder and I can build a playlist in WMP 11 that plays the podcasts in the order I desire. Am I missing something?

Windows Vista

WMP 11 to sync, change metadata, and build playlists

Itunes to download podcasts

RonZimmerman wrote:

I just got a Clip + and I am very disappointed and can’t understand why I can’t put an mp3 file with a podcast genre in a playlist. This seems so obvious and simple that it amazes me Sandisk does not allow this. What is the advantage of having the mp3 files put in the podcast genre? The only thing I can see is you can resume playing where you left off on the podcast. This, to me, is not good enough to negate the obvious advantage of a playlist. I am changing the genres of all the podcasts I download to pcast so it will go into the music folder and I can build a playlist in WMP 11 that plays the podcasts in the order I desire. Am I missing something?

Windows Vista

WMP 11 to sync, change metadata, and build playlists

Itunes to download podcasts

No, Ron, I don’t think you are missing anything…that’s just the way the Sansas work. I’ve always preferred to listen to mine one at a time, and then immediately delete them afterwards, so for me, I didn’t need a playlist…but we’re all different.:wink:

Thanks for the quick reply. I use mine while working out and I don’t like stopping every time a podcast ends. Some of the podcasts (the Onion Radio News) are only 2 minutes long. I also download a lot of podcasts and like the ability to decide before the workout the order I want to listen to them. I hope someone from Sandisk reads this. It just doesn’t seem that hard to allow us to have a playlist.

RonZimmerman wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I use mine while working out and I don’t like stopping every time a podcast ends. Some of the podcasts (the Onion Radio News) are only 2 minutes long. I also download a lot of podcasts and like the ability to decide before the workout the order I want to listen to them. I hope someone from Sandisk reads this. It just doesn’t seem that hard to allow us to have a playlist.

You’re not the first to request this feature…and it has never come to pass. I don’t know if it would be a difficult thing to implement or not…I’m no programmer…but I can see from your example how it would be useful. It’s good that you were able to figure out a workaround though, even if it is a pain in the butt.

The solution is to group  podcasts together and give them the same album tag. Then you can choose the  order they will play by numbering them using the track number tag. I have podcasts from  different places and different series, so having a different album name for each series of podcast works well.

If the podcasts are in the order you want to play them based on alphabetical order, then you could choose music>folders, and play them in folder mode. Tagging them and playing them by album though will help you keep your place in the series of podcasts, especially if you use your player for both music and podcasts.

What is the advantage of leaving the genre podcast? What does this give me?

"What is the advantage of leaving the genre podcast? What does this give me? "

It gives you the resume feature and control of the play speed(normal, fast, or slow. No pitch correction though).

Using the genre podcast keeps your podcasts out of the song database, so if you shuffle all your music, podcasts won’t radomly play, and podcasts won’t be listed in song lists.

@jk98 wrote:

"What is the advantage of leaving the genre podcast? What does this give me? "

It gives you the resume feature and control of the play speed(normal, fast, or slow. No pitch correction though).

Using the genre podcast keeps your podcasts out of the song database, so if you shuffle all your music, podcasts won’t radomly play, and podcasts won’t be listed in song lists.

The resume feature would be nice - but it’s keeping them out of the music database that would be really useful for me. Unfortunately, I’ll have to deal with it until Sandisk gives us the ability to use playlists with anything we want…

“I’ll have to deal with it until Sandisk gives us the ability to use playlists with anything we want…”

Using playlists requires the files to be in the music database. Files can’t be both in the music database and not in the music database at the same time. One needs to take the good with the bad and make a choice.

I’ve just switched to a clip+ from an iRiver clix and I’m experiencing the same frustration. I listen to a number of daily and weekly podcasts. With the clix, I would download the podcasts in iTunes, create a playlist in date order, copy and paste that playlist into a WMP playlist and then sync the clix - the playlist stayed in date order. This method doesn’t seem to work with the clip+. Is there any suggestion how to duplicate that functionality?

I rename the genre Pcast using the Advanced tag editor in WMP, then build a playlist in WMP in date order (just click on column “date added”) and sync to the Clip. It’s a workaround, but you can’t build a playlist for genre Podcast. Any other genre you can. It’s stupid, but that’s the way it is.