No 'backlight always on' for Sansa Fuze

The Sansa Fuze has no provision for ‘backlight always on.’ Interestingly, the manual claims that it has such a feature. Conceivably, this could be added in a future firmware update. What is the best way to make SanDisk aware that some of us would like this feature added?

actually it used to exist on previous firmwares, but the feature was taken out, probably for battery life.

Its to preserve the LCD screen and protect against “burn-in”.

Anyone know if the “backlight always on” will be included in the next firmware update?

My wife  got a 4 GB Fuze 2 weeks ago and I got the 8 GB unit early this week…  I’m 99% sure that feature is in my menu but I never tried it…  The Latest latest firmware posted here came on both units. If someone don’t confirm this I’ll have a look as post it next time I use the unit! George

@joshtee wrote:
Anyone know if the “backlight always on” will be included in the next firmware update?

Not likely since it’s already been confirmed that it was on the previous firmware version and taken off to preserve battery & screen life and prevent ‘burn-in’ (?).
Message Edited by Tapeworm on 09-06-2008 10:22 AM

@sansafix wrote:

Isn’t “burn-in” highly unlikely on an LCD screen? I thought that was one of the benefits & new features of LCDs, particulary in the case of computer monitors. I’ve heard the only reason screen-savers are even still in operating systems is that people have come to expect them & like them (for entertainment value). But since LCD screens do not suffer “burn-in” as the older CRT’s (cathode-ray tubes) there is no preventative value to them.

From Wikipedia: [LCD computer monitors, including the display panels used in laptop computers, are not susceptible to burn-in because the image is not directly produced by phosphors (although they can suffer from a less extreme and usually non-permanent form of image persistence). For these reasons, screensavers today are primarily decorative or for entertainment, and usually feature moving images or patterns and sometimes sound effects.]

Tapeworm,

Again your right!  I was so sure about this i had to grab the player and have a look sure enough:dizzy_face:, There is no option to have the back light stay on… I must be going nut’s! I would have bet I had seen that option in the menu… Oh well not that I would use it… Thanks!  George 

@george_w wrote:

There is no option to have the back light stay on… I must be going nut’s! I would have bet I had seen that option in the menu… 

Did you upgrade the firmware on either (or both) of your units after you got them? You might have seen it when you first got the player(s), but now it’s not there because it was taken out in the update.

You MAY be going nuts, but it’s probably not caused by this! :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope it came with the latest firmware installed!!  v01.01.11A!!  Funny thing just happened! I plugged in my 8GB unit to charge it and I have new icon in my computer with the picture of a camera and next to it *MTP device on local*? Scratch head!  No drive letter… I also have the normal Fuze 8gb icon below that…   I get a different icon depending in I’m on the laptop or the desktop… It’s set to auto… George

@tapeworm wrote:

@sansafix wrote:

Isn’t “burn-in” highly unlikely on an LCD screen? I thought that was one of the benefits & new features of LCDs, particulary in the case of computer monitors. I’ve heard the only reason screen-savers are even still in operating systems is that people have come to expect them & like them (for entertainment value). But since LCD screens do not suffer “burn-in” as the older CRT’s (cathode-ray tubes) there is no preventative value to them.

From Wikipedia: [LCD computer monitors, including the display panels used in laptop computers, are not susceptible to burn-in because the image is not directly produced by phosphors (although they can suffer from a less extreme and usually non-permanent form of image persistence). For these reasons, screensavers today are primarily decorative or for entertainment, and usually feature moving images or patterns and sometimes sound effects.]

Yeah that is what I thought, also, about the burn-in.

As far a battery life goes. It should still be an option. If someone wants the battery to last longer, it can be changed to one of the second options (10 seconds, 60 seconds, ect.). I would like to have the option when I have it plugged in w/ my AC adapter.

I too would love to have this option. I mostly use would use it when I’m in my car, I like to be able to see my display so I don’t have to fumble with the controls

Message Edited by jakewoodblues on 09-09-2008 05:06 PM