new headphones?

Does anyone in the forums here have any experience with Skullcandy headphones? Currently testing out a set of Ink’d earbuds (which aren’t bad), and now I was thinking about getting a DJ-type set. Any objective critiques would be helpful.

Glenn

@expatdetroiter wrote:

Does anyone in the forums here have any experience with Skullcandy headphones? Currently testing out a set of Ink’d earbuds (which aren’t bad), and now I was thinking about getting a DJ-type set. Any objective critiques would be helpful.

Glenn

Opinions on the Skullcandy headphones are all over the place. I am not a fan of their sound( I didn’t like the ink’d) , but there are others here who like them. The full-size models though, I haven’t tried, so I can’t say either way on them.

I swear by them. I love SkullCandy!

So on one hand, people love SkullCandy to the point of almost gushing estatically. On the other, people are saying that they’re not altogether spectacular. I’ve read several reviews on a few different models SC makes, and it seems to me that it could be considered the “iPod” of headphones (style over substance).

Here’s the thing: I’m not after flash or hype or image. I just want to know how they sound. If the sound is good, fine-- I’ll keep them and use them. If the sound is bad, I’ll look elsewhere. But I can’t do that unless I break down and buy a pair. That’s my conundrum. And that’s why I’m asking.

Glenn

@expatdetroiter wrote:

So on one hand, people love SkullCandy to the point of almost gushing estatically. On the other, people are saying that they’re not altogether spectacular. I’ve read several reviews on a few different models SC makes, and it seems to me that it could be considered the “iPod” of headphones (style over substance).

Here’s the thing: I’m not after flash or hype or image. I just want to know how they sound. If the sound is good, fine-- I’ll keep them and use them. If the sound is bad, I’ll look elsewhere. But I can’t do that unless I break down and buy a pair. That’s my conundrum. And that’s why I’m asking.

Glenn

I would agree… but I also have a sponsorship with them for my radio show… So that plays a factor. But I still Love them and Ill tell you why… They are not painfully expensive (like Bose or Sennheiser) and they still have a very good sound (not as good as the aforementioned big names), but for $20 you can get yourself a pretty decent set of phones. I have 4 different sets from 4 different product lines each has their pros and cons. Which set were you looking at? If I have them Ill give you an honest review… For instance I would not recommend the Hesh line for use with a portable player, they are big bulky and the headphone cord is 2 sections that detach easily, also without firm EQ control they can sound a little like listening to a tin can. Just my Opinion…  

@expatdetroiter wrote:

Glenn

I guess it depends on how picky you are about your sound. For what it’s worth, most self-described “audiophiles” utterly loathe the Skullcandy. As fas as I’m concerned, the Ink’d, while I thought they were an upgrade over the stock buds, as soon as I heard how many people didn’t like them, I tried something else, and was blown away by the difference. So maybe ignorance was bliss for me.:wink:

In the end, it’s hard for us to describe to you how they’ll sound, because everyone’s ears are different. Everyone has different levels of hearing loss, so what might sound terribly muffled and boomy to one person could sound perfectly balanced to the next person. Or a set of headphones that some say have too much treble emphasis to one person might sound just right to the next guy. Maybe try buying them from somewhere that has a return policy, in case you don’t like them?

Conversionbox & Marvin-

Many thanks for your feedback. While I’m not in the market for earbud type headsets (already have the ones that came with my Fuze and Express, and they’re still good…along with a set of buds from Philips and now the SC Ink’d buds), it’s the DJ-type phones that I’m currently looking into. As far as SC is concerned, I’ve pretty much ruled out the Hesh because of the short cord. But I’m wary of trying the Lowrider because a majority of the product reviews I’ve read state that they’re prone to breaking.

Honestly? I’m not using these for listening to my players. What I’d like to do is to use them for occasional DJ gigs using my computer and the 30GB-plus collection of music (all from CDs I own) that I have. Primarily blues and jazz and mid-60s soul, with a small bit of everything else.

So…I’ve done a small bit of scouting yesterday. Sony, JVC, and the aformentioned Philips are on the table, along with SkullCandy. Too bad the stores won’t let me try them on my head… q-:

Glenn

PS- @Conversionbox I had no idea that you had a radio show. q-:

From the SC lines The GI line is my fav… I had them until I got a little fired up one night with some friends (doing a Wedding) and stepped on them. They have a pretty good sound (Good enough for my show and better than most Live DJs phones Ive tried) Plus they are Uber comfortable and the phone part flips. The SK Pro… Sound best… but I dont find them comfortable, or practical, they are heavy and make my ears sweat, but they will do exactly what you describe perfectly, they cost a little bit though… (150 ish).

If you wanna go Wireless… OOO… Gotta get the Double Agents… They are incredible. 

I’ve tried the Skull Candy Ink’d phones on other people’s recommendations and didn’t care for them at all. They had absolutely no bass to them at all (at least to my ears). That’s why you really have to try them yourself. Maybe I have a hearing loss or deficit in certain lower-band frequencies, I don’t know, but I found a modestly-priced ($20) pair of Sonys not only gave me the bass I like, but also a balanced high-end and they are comfortable in my ears. They’re not the best sounding, but for 20 bucks they do me just fine.

I picked up the Ink’d phones at Target and had no problems returning them. Walmart also sells them, and I assume would take them back with a smile if you didn’t care for them. The only way to try head/earphones and be able to return them if you don’t like them is with a brick & mortar store. Even if an on-line dealer were to allow you to return them, it’s a time-consuming hassle, and you’d still be stuck for the shipping cost both ways (in most cases).

@tapeworm wrote:

I’ve tried the Skull Candy Ink’d phones on other people’s recommendations and didn’t care for them at all. They had absolutely no bass to them at all (at least to my ears). That’s why you really have to try them yourself. Maybe I have a hearing loss or deficit in certain lower-band frequencies, I don’t know, but I found a modestly-priced ($20) pair of Sonys not only gave me the bass I like, but also a balanced high-end and they are comfortable in my ears. They’re not the best sounding, but for 20 bucks they do me just fine.

I picked up the Ink’d phones at Target and had no problems returning them. Walmart also sells them, and I assume would take them back with a smile if you didn’t care for them. The only way to try head/earphones and be able to return them if you don’t like them is with a brick & mortar store. Even if an on-line dealer were to allow you to return them, it’s a time-consuming hassle, and you’d still be stuck for the shipping cost both ways (in most cases).

Ink’d are the low end… ie Lowest Quality sound… The Full Metal Jacket, or Titan lines are superior but also cost more. I am also anxious to try the Chops and Asym phones… they are new to me and still in the package.

I found a CNET review, for what it’s worth…

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/skullcandy-double-agent-headphones/4505-7877_7-33107345.html?tag=mncol;lst

And as far as Skullcandy in general, out of seven models they reviewed, the highest rating was 3 stars out of 5.

@marvin_martian wrote:

I found a CNET review, for what it’s worth…

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/skullcandy-double-agent-headphones/4505-7877_7-33107345.html?tag=mncol;lst

And as far as Skullcandy in general, out of seven models they reviewed, the highest rating was 3 stars out of 5.

I wouldnt completely disagree… I use my Double Agents for use at my Desk in my home office… They sound excelent… now if you are on the move and out and about then they may leave a lot to be desired… 

To be honest, skullcandy is meant for bass. that means that if you listen to rock, its not perfect. Thats why they are called skullCANDY because some of the expensive headphones are acandy to the skull.

Message Edited by NissanSkyline on 06-21-2009 08:47 AM

@nissanskyline wrote:
To be honest, skullcandy is meant for bass. that means that if you listen to rock, its not perfect. Thats why they are called skullCANDY because some of the expensive headphones are acandy to the skull.

Not sure where you got your info… they are built to be balanced… bass with treble… in that order… but some lines have their deficiencies because quality is sacrificed to make a less expensive product… You get what you pay for with SkullCandy

@nissanskyline wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

@ Conversionbox wrote:

… You get what you pay for with SkullCandy

As with anything else.

To run wireless, I like the simplicity of the Macally SN-MTUNE headsets.  They are designed for the e200 series, with the Sansa dropping into the left headphone base.

I wish they’d design a similar headphone for the new Fuze.  Since the headphone jack is on the bottom of the Fuze, a built-in plug within the cradle would work beautifully.

Compared against the Skull Candy, the Macally folds up into a wee ball when not in use, and has wonderful soft pads.

Oh, and for what they’re designed to do, reproduce sound, they’re great!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I think they should make a set of those for the Fuze, because that’s what almost made me buy the e200 series. Also, that cool chrome cover looking thing for them, too. And the replaceable battery… 

Thanks to all who’ve tossed suggestions and feedback and critiques and comments into this kitty. Still undecided regarding the larger DJ-type headsets, but I’ll keep in mind everything that’s been subjected to lengthy discourse here.

Glenn

What about those sony DJ headphones… they look pretty smexy to me xD

but not the home theater ones… those just look scary… and believe me, i saw a gaint using those ones. xD

I wasa about to buy something like that until i saw a ipod shuffle slot attached to it XD