Need way better genre tag support

Please let the Sansa Fuze read whatever is in the genre tag field and then generate a list just like it does with artist and album tags. This is both simple and the BEST way to do it. Right now it can’t even recognize any genres except a select few that Fuze has preprogrammed based on some idX spec, which is totally unnessary.

While we are at it, can the fuze please handle building playlists internally.  I shouldnt have to use 3rd party software to do a simple and common practice.

@ebouc wrote:
While we are at it, can the fuze please handle building playlists internally.  I shouldnt have to use 3rd party software to do a simple and common practice.

There is the GoList, ya know:wink:

And if you hgave 800 songs Classified as Rock? What Good does this do? I can see your point if you have all the diferent spesific sub genres listed but I dont care that mush about wheather I am listening to Indie Rock, Hard Rock, Grunge, Metal, or what have you so its all Rock. Makes no sense for me or anybody who Just tags the Title Album and Artist  have this feature.

@rubix wrote:
Right now it can’t even recognize any genres except a select few that Fuze has preprogrammed based on some idX spec, which is totally unnessary.

It must be your tagging software that’s limited, not the Fuze. I have all sorts of genres that don’t follow any specification, e.g. “New Albums”, “Favorites”, and the Fuze sees them just fine.

I’m quite happy with the way genre works. I have hundreds of songs in some genres, and just giving me a massive list of songs would be truly awful.

I really like the idea of “List All Songs” just below “Play All Songs”. That could work well any place “Play All Songs” exists, allowing you to put songs in playlists while something else is playing and to start part-way through the list.

@rubix wrote:
Right now it can’t even recognize any genres except a select few that Fuze has preprogrammed based on some idX spec, which is totally unnessary.

The Fuze (nor any Sansa player for that matter) does not have any ‘pre-programmed’ genres in it. It will read & display whatever is typed into the GENRE field of the ID3 tag. You can create or customize genres as you see fit.

Maybe the free program MP3Tag will help solve your issues. Sound like you’ve got some editing to do. This program will make quick work of it, being able to edit and/or change entire Albums or Genres in one fell swoop. :smiley:

There are 20 different genres on my Fuze right now…although you could argue that many are sub-genre’s, that is what it says.(ok, 19 + unknown for 1 album) :stuck_out_tongue: