Need help with Problem connecting to WinXP

WinXP Home SP2 - Compaq Desk.

When Clip is connected to USB port the “New Hardware detected message” pops up. A few seconds later the pop up shows “Sansa Clip” Windows never shows it in the “My Computer” panel - not as a Drive letter nor as a Portable Device. The Device Manager tab has it in the USB section as a :

“USB Mass Storage Device”
Device Type = Universal Serial Bus controllers
Manufacturer = Compatible USB storage device
Location = Location 0 (SanDisk Sansa Clip)

The status is “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”

There are 3 Sansa players in the house - 2 Clips and a 8 GB View. All have the same problem on this computer. The same USB port does work perfectly for all other devices including a Sandisk 2 GB Cruzer. All 3 players are recognized correctly on a laptop computer in the house.

The Windows trouble shooter launched from the Device Manager was no help. Uninstall/re-install from the Device Manager tab do not correct the problem. A reformat of the Clip does not solve it.  MSC-MTP mode make  no difference. Firmware of the Clip is current to the 01.01.20A.

Any help would be appreciated.

Great synopsis.

Do you know if the PC has USB 2.0 ports? I’ve heard of problems with USB 1.x ports and some newer MSC (Mass Storage Class) devices…it’s a possibility.

More likely, there may also be a USB power limitation on this port, especially if it is one of the front-panel ports.  Try a rear panel port, if you haven’t already done so.

It is a USB 2 port. The laptop that works is a USB1.

The port is from the back side of the computer - there is a front port but it has not worked for any device for at least a year. There are 4 USB ports on the back and they all give the same results. I wondered about the power requirements also - so I went out & bought a USB 2.0 hub with and external power supply - I got it since it was documented to “power all mp3 players”. It gives the exact same results as connecting directly to the port without using the hub.

Is there a Windows setup that tells the system  how to handle USB devices? Since it is consistant to media players and all other USB devices (cameras, thumbdrives, serial port converters) work without a problem, I believe it to be a driver/software issue.

I would just say be done with it and use the laptop but it is a traveling machine and is never at the house when some one needs to update or change a media player :angry:

Sure sounds like a hardware problem with the Compaq…have you tried searching M$ Knowledge Base articles? Go here and see if any of these tricks shed light on what’s wrong with the USB port.

You may even be able to get that front port working again.

"I *finally* got it to work by reading a random non-SanDisk website that said to turn the player to on, slide the bar to “hold,” and then press the center button while plugging the device into your USB port. For some weird reason, that did the trick, even though never suggested by tech support. "

Quoted from a review at amazon. Before I tried this, I had the same problem as you I believe, as in it didn’t show up in “My Computer.” But when I did this it ended up working. Try seeing if this works?

The OP said he TRIED MSC mode, which is what the hold/center button/plug in sequence forces the Clip into.

Message Edited by Click on 02-10-2008 08:28 PM

Thanks for suggestions - from the Windows link for Advanced USB trouble shooting I will try to delete all USB devices and reinstall. I have not done that yet.

Next on things I have not tried

1. boot from a LINUX live CD distribution. I am not sure what good this will do if it does work - but it would tell me that the USB port and the system board are capable of talking to the Clip.
  2. Buy a PCI USB card and install that - I think the Belkin or IOGEAR both have their own drivers. I belive that they are in the $20-$30 range.

I will post the resolution if I ever find it.

ncscz;

“Is there a Windows setup that tells the system  how to handle USB devices? Since it is consistant to media players and all other USB devices (cameras, thumbdrives, serial port converters) work without a problem, I believe it to be a driver/software issue.”

Yes. The driver are in Windows Media Player. You must have version 10 or above to have the drivers. If you are below verion 10, there is a free update to 11 at microsoft.com

Problem solved with a IOGEAR USB PCI card. The driver used by the Compaq USB port must have been the issue.