Napster to go? Anyone

After testing on two computers and reading tons of related posts and following instructions about MTP mode and reinstalling WMP, I am currently of the oppinion that Napster to Go is not compatible with this player.   There seems to be some issue with the MTP driver reading the clock on the device.

Does anyone have Napster to Go running with the Fuze?

Right now I’m one really dissapointed camper as I bought this player based on the belief that it would work with Napster to Go. 

You may have a bad unit.

I currently have an RMA in for replacement because Rhapsody would not read the secure clock.  The technician said that the secure clock on these units have their own seperate battery and it could be the cause of the issue.

I am currently on my “Third” Fuze, once this one is returned.

The first one had an issue in which the case above the SDCard reader would flex causing me to get the “Updating your Media” splash almost everytime I powered on the device.

The second one had this issue with Rhapsody or Media Player 11 not being able to read the secure clock.

Run Media Player 11 and see if you keep getting the message to update your secure clock.  If you do, follow the prompts to do so, and then exit Media Player and start it again.  If it keeps giving you messages to update the clock, then you have a bad secure clock and you get to either return the unit to the store, or wait for Sandisk to send a new one…

Hopefully (fingers crossed) the third time is the charm.  I think the Fuze is a great player, but they’re getting past some manufacturing bugs.  Thank God my old E280R is bulletproof, and with Rockbox installed, it can read my 8GB MicroSD card just fine.  Perfect for a “backup” player.

I was in the exact same predicament two weeks ago that you are in now, and I was also a very unhappy camper. I also had the clock error. Even with WMP 11 it still would not sync to my napster files… my solution after going through the whole rigamarroo with tech support from both napster and Sandisk : Return the Fuze and get another Fuze. Chances are 50-50 that the replacement will work. I seriously debated going with another brand. I went ahead and got another Fuze, and it syncs files fine with napster to go on the first try.

The strange thing is… the second Fuze I ended up getting is having problems with video, whereas the first one before worked perfectly in the video department. So from my experience you get luck of the draw - a Fuze that transfers video fine but has problems syncing DRM protected files, or vice versa.

One other thing…Napster allows us to only have a max of three devices enabled to our accounts. You also can only disable a device every thirty days, so you may be unhappy about napster telling you to wait thirty days before you can use the new device (if you have three enabled currently). However, if you call up Napster support they will override this and disable an older device from your account so you can use the replacement player that you end up getting.

@titovanburen wrote:

One other thing…Napster allows us to only have a max of three devices enabled to our accounts. You also can only disable a device every thirty days, so you may be unhappy about napster telling you to wait thirty days before you can use the new device (if you have three enabled currently). However, if you call up Napster support they will override this and disable an older device from your account so you can use the replacement player that you end up getting.

That ■■■■■…Rhapsody may have it’s issues, but I can authorize and deauthorize devices at will.  It made my wait for a new Fuze much easier since I can use my Rockboxed E280R until the replacement comes in.

Thanks, guess I’ll try a replacement.

Thanks again. I picked up a replacement today, and it worked right away without any hitches.  Glad I didn’t waste any more time troubleshooting.

Message Edited by Heresy on 07-24-2008 12:26 PM

Glad to see that you got Napster running on your Fuze.

As a footnote, often formatting the device will start the authorization process from scratch, automatically synchronizing the secure clock on authorization.

For those who are running with Rhapsody, with the device connected in MTP mode, hold [Ctrl][Shift] and right-click on the Fuze while it is displayed in the sources pane, then select Reset Secure Clock from the drop down choices. 

To reset the secure clock using Windows Media Player: place a fresh cup of coffee in front of your computer’s air intake (to wake the Microsoft gods), and toss a handful of magic runes on the computer desk, while clicking your heels together three times, while thinking happy thoughts.  Sometimes you may need to add a few well chanted mantras. 

If the secure clock reset window does not appear, forget the mantras, and insert the colorful metaphors (or expletives) of your choice.   

Bob   :stuck_out_tongue:

I cannot figure out how to put music on my SD card- i have a Napster subscription and cannot instructions ANYWHERE that shows how to d/l it to the SD card and not the player- Nor can i find a way to copy my songs on the player to the external card- Any suggestions?  (i soooooooooooo shoulda just stuck with my AM/FM/8Track Player radio …lol)

Because of the DRM (digital rights mismanagement) information for subscription services, they prefer to ignore the microSD card because you could take out the card and put it in another player, which to them means you are a potential music bootlegger.

The easiest thing to do would be to move any non-DRM songs onto the card–move them onto your computer and then onto the card–and use the internal memory for the DRM songs. 

Actually, the Secure Digital part of that logo is significant.  Using Rhapsody, I can transfer DRM (secure WMA) files to the µSD card, as the Rhapsody client allows sccess to the Sansa and the installed µSD card.

Sorry, I am not using Napster, but check if the Napster client shows the mounted µSD card, either as a subdirectory for your Fuze, or as another device.

You can transfer your µSD card between devices, but the secure WMA files will only play on the device that they were originally transferred with.  Conversely, if you log into a different Rhapsody account, and transfer songs using a second Sansa, those files will only play when the µSD card is mounted on the matching authorized device.

If Napster does not show the µSD card, it may be possible to use Windows Media Player as your ally.  Transfer the track to your PC’s library, then synchronize the desired tracks to the “next device”, the µSD card, with the Sansa plugged in.  Using a card reader will most likely not work; the card will need to be mounted in the Fuze.  MTP mode will handle the device licenses in the background.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: