My computer hates me

I swear my computer hates me.
I found out that the next town over’s library (TCL) now has downloadable audio books. I happen to have a TCL library card and go to their website to find out more.
It turns out you have to have Windows Media Player v. 10 or 11 to be able to download the books with the software they (TCL) provides free of charge. So I download TCL’s book downloading software and update my Windows Media Player to v. 10.

I decide that, after I download a couple of books, that I really should load these onto my MP3 player so I can take them with me when I go walking in the mornings. But in order to do that, my computer (which is running XP…I know…horribly ancient) has to first RECOGNIZE that my MP3 player is in fact an MP3 player and NOT a USB device. Only I can’t seem to figure out how to make it do that…recognize that I plugged in an MP3 player and NOT a USB drive.

The troubleshooting guide on my computer is no help. Going to the Windows website is no help. I am ready to rip my hair right out.

I went to the SanDisk website to see if I could update the driver and that would fix the problem. HOWEVER…when I click on ‘downloads’, select ‘digital player 1 GB’ (which is what I have) it says there are not any available driver updates. The product is NOT listed with the other Sansa MP3 players. I have a Sansa Express and the only ones that are listed are the c ane e 200, e200R,m200, Sansa Clip, Sansa Fuze and Sansa View.