My computer dosent read my Sansa Clip

I just got my sansa clip for christmas, Right now it plays the songs that I have on it already, the problem is when i went to add more songs to it, There is no icon in my computer… I’ve tried it on two different computers and no icon. The clip says its connected and the battery will charge but no icon in my computer… can anyone help me with this?

Many posts here with suggestions.  You may want to do a search, or see:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=1985&query.id=110173#M1985

Many posts here with suggestions.  You may want to do a search, or see this thread (go to the top of it):

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=1985&query.id=110173#M1985

I tried some of the suggestins and it still doesnt work… anyone have any more suggestions? I downloaded the updater but my computer doesnt “see” my sansa clip on the computer so i dont see how that would have helped me…

Did you try the referenced above, using MSC mode?

Clip in hold position and press the center button when connecting the USB cable to computer and Clip.  Download the .18A firmare (see the sticky above) and upgrade your firmware.  Under settings/USB, switch to MSC mode.  Connect the Clip, and now your Clip should show as a drive under My Computer.

im physic  ; here’s whats gonna follow::  msc mode? how do i do that… Miiker:: put clip in hold, and while pushing center button, connecty to PC, you should see clip as a drive letter…update to latest FW as soon as possible… then under settings, you will find the mtp/msc option for the next time you connect./.  OP:: thnx miikerman…that did it… you are awesome-- i wanna have your baby…

amkoas wrote:
im physic  ; here’s whats gonna follow::  msc mode? how do i do that… Miiker:: put clip in hold, and while pushing center button, connecty to PC, you should see clip as a drive letter…update to latest FW as soon as possible… then under settings, you will find the mtp/msc option for the next time you connect./.  OP:: thnx miikerman…that did it… you are awesome-- i wanna have your baby…

lol

Man, amkoas, you must’ve hated it when the WWW moved out of Switzerland and into people’s homes.  When was that, sometime in the early 90’s, right?  Have you been fumin’ for the last ~15 years?

:wink:

got me all figured? w/ reads like that, we should play poker sometime

Yea i’ve tried the other mode and downloading the other thing and that didnt work. I tried my Sansa clip on another computer too and it didnt work on there. And i’ve email the tech support at sansa twice and they havent responded. I’m about ready to give up on this thing.

this aint gonna make you feel better,You are doin it wrong. support has a phone… an american will answer and help.

Amkoas,

Messages such as these are looked at as in appropriate. For future refrence, please refrain from making comments that some may find offensive. Thank you for understanding.

-SanDisk Technical Support

Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 01-20-2008 01:59 AM

Sounds like you may have a defective unit, but give Sandisk a call … I’ve never experienced a long wait time.

Yea I haven’t used it since it my computer wouldn’t read it. So Friday I tried to turn it on and it wouldn’t even come one… so I made my Fiance call and they got it back on and since it came back on they said it was  technically a working device and couldn’t replace it?!  Its suppose to be able to connect to my computer and Im suppose to be able to add new songs  to it. The last thing we tried was reformatting it. Guess what that didn’t work either. So now It doesn’t have any songs on it. So we had to inform the guy on the phone its not working cause we cant add songs to it? I do not understand why no one understand this? It worked fine the first week I probably probably added songs to it twice and charged it up fully and maybe listen to it maybe 3 times in the week and a half that i had it. I never dropped it. So now they are deciding  on what to do about it now? They want a copy of the sales receipt so went sent that.  We didn’t ask for our money back, but I think they should fix it or replace it. As far as the people we purchased it from. They said they were sorry it didn’t work but it was brand new  and all sales were final. Anybody else ever had any problems with SanDisk?

Hi Lilian,

Were you able to connect to PC as MSC mode (slide button back into HOLD, press-n-hold Center button while plugging in)…I assume you did this and got it to show up on the PC but you could not do anything to it right?  If that’s the case, you might want to change the drive letter on your computer because sometimes, there is a drive conflict that causes this…here is how you go about changing your drive letter for your device.

1. On your desktop, you should see “My Computer” or “Computer”
  2. Right click on it and choose Manage
  3. Once, the Manager box pop up…there are several options on the left hand side…choose Disk Management
  4. Once you click on Disk Management, you should see (on the right side): Volume, Layout, Type, File System…etc
  5. Now right click on Sansa Clip (L:) (in my case) and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths
  6. It will pop up another box…choose “Change”
  7. Another box pop up…look to the top right corner with the arrow down that you can click to have it scroll down
  8. Then choose another letter to assign to your device & then click OK
  9. If everything’s done right and the problem is with drive conflict, then your device should work normally
    10.  If it does work, I suggest upgrade to the latest firmware and enjoy the music.

I’m pretty sure the tech guy tried this with my boyfriend but I looked anyways just now and I didnt see sansa in there.

It’s very odd if the device actually show “Connected” and you can even view it in the Disk Management…can you provide screenshot so we all can see this phenomenon and figure out what’s wrong

Also:  you did not mention your computer configuration like what OS system, what package, version of WMP…all this would help in helping you

Message Edited by kmc2005 on 01-24-2008 08:41 AM