Music Sounds Noisy

I have noticed some music sounds noisy, like a tearing or swishing sound in background during lower level or quiet periods, like “shhhh-shh–shhhhh”. I am using 8GB clip with new firmware, supplied ear buds, 64 wma files of a full orchestra recorded from TV to DVDR , converted to WAV with sound editor and burned to CDR then ripped and saved in the wma 64 format. Sounds very roundabout. And some are not burned to CDR and ripped but simply converted WAV to wma 64 and copied into the MUSIC folder.

Not all music has this noise. Most is either 128 mp3 or 64 wma. I have not listened yet to every piece of music on the clip either, but some does have this sound and other does not.

Could this likely be a bad recording, quality of earbuds, need of a higher bitrate or mp3 for this type of music?

What should i first try when I hear such a noise. Not really bad or intolerably unacceptable but i do notice it in the background, and then at times am unsure if its there or not because Ii find myself listening for it.

The recording itself was made at a low level and there was no clipping, but it still has plenty of volume though I listen at a low volume usually. Any suggestions?

@bbrev7 wrote:

I have noticed some music sounds noisy, like a tearing or swishing sound in background during lower level or quiet periods, like “shhhh-shh–shhhhh”. I am using 8GB clip with new firmware, supplied ear buds, 64 wma files of a full orchestra recorded from TV to DVDR , converted to WAV with sound editor and burned to CDR then ripped and saved in the wma 64 format. Sounds very roundabout. And some are not burned to CDR and ripped but simply converted WAV to wma 64 and copied into the MUSIC folder.

Not all music has this noise. Most is either 128 mp3 or 64 wma. I have not listened yet to every piece of music on the clip either, but some does have this sound and other does not.

Could this likely be a bad recording, quality of earbuds, need of a higher bitrate or mp3 for this type of music?

What should i first try when I hear such a noise. Not really bad or intolerably unacceptable but i do notice it in the background, and then at times am unsure if its there or not because Ii find myself listening for it.

The recording itself was made at a low level and there was no clipping, but it still has plenty of volume though I listen at a low volume usually. Any suggestions?

Generally the swishing sounds are made by extra power sent to the headphones from the source. This could have occoured at any point in your process. If you have the origional recording try to rip them straight ot mp3 or wav files, at a HIGH quality and see if its any better.

i’m amazed you can hear anything with the stock buds :p 

but to be serious, i’m pretty positive the noise is originally from your tv. then in the process of encoding and lack of quality i guess the noise is more accentuated ( word? ) 

you can put the wav directly to your clip and listen to that, if it still has the noise then it’s from the tv. or the dvr… if not, you can try to play with quality settings of your encoder

I don’t know anything about the WMA format but from my experience with other formats, it sounds like you’re compressing the music too much. If you use really high compression on MP3, I know it sometimes sounds awful and has swishing noises in the background. You might try using a better quality setting.

It looks like you’re using WMA 64 Kbps CBR preset

It would be better if you use WMA VBR

@feromon wrote:

It looks like you’re using WMA 64 Kbps CBR preset

It would be better if you use WMA VBR

Agreed. If you are not an audio purist, WMA VBR, target range 85-145, sounds as good as 192 CBR MP3, with files 40% smaller, good for squeezing a lot of music on a small flash player, without running into file limits.

You’re also doing lossy compression twice (first to DVD, second to WMA) which never helps with the swishies.  In future, pick a higher bitrate (shorter recording time per disk) and whatever else you can to improve sound quality on the DVD recorder.

Message Edited by donp on 03-11-2009 08:14 PM

I get a great sound/size trade-off with MP3 files using VBR with a 192-320 kbps range–I figure this is high enough to get good sound, and the size is not huge (it seems to go up dramatically at higher rates).