Music Organization

I am trying to create a music plan and i was curious as to the plan of you folks with thousands of songs and many clips.

First, i have determined that due to my less than perfect ears and ambient noise from various sources that the quality of wma 64 bitrate is adequate for clip.

I figure I can get music 3 ways; rip from CD and save to Wav, Wma, Flac, Mp3, Ogg. I can copy from music files I already have. And I can convert files I have.

I can also convert but understand it should only be done from Flac or wav to one of the other formats but not other ways. Also it does doesnt make much sense to archive both flac AND wav, or to re-rip a bunch of songs one at a time.

I was thinking of initially creating wav and wma and storing all the saved files on a hard drive in a folder for their format in artist folders with songs tagged for artist and songtrack-name. I find if I give album, artist, and contributing artist tag the same as the actual artist they show up in clip correctly in one artist folder.

With an external hard drive I could store wav in case i want to make a compilation CDR or convert to mp3 for more quality on any songs that need it.

And I can use the wma for the clip and add or remove as wished from clip to my library back and forth.

I know flac is smaller but it is new to me and I am not sure if Nero or WMP or other common programs can use it.

It seems wma and wav are more common and useful unless I am missing something.

As I said I am new to clip and to flac and storing and using lots of music, and maybe I have overlooked something.

Does this sound like a good plan or are there other suggestions obvious to others but not myself.

Well my collection hit 105,000, this week. What I have as my management is

Music:

Artist:

Album:

Song.mp3

All 105,000 are on the Exrernal HDD in mp3 format, because I want instant access to them in any player with out plugins, and I need them to be universally compatable with about a dozen different programs. On my internal hard drive I have every song in OGG format, which I use on the players. Hope this is what you were lookin for. 

@conversionbox wrote:

Well my collection hit 105,000, this week. What I have as my management is

Music:

Artist:

Album:

Song.mp3

All 105,000 are on the Exrernal HDD in mp3 format, because I want instant access to them in any player with out plugins, and I need them to be universally compatable with about a dozen different programs. On my internal hard drive I have every song in OGG format, which I use on the players. Hope this is what you were lookin for. 

I used to do it that way, but I found it wasn’t exactly to my liking.  I like to know at a glance what albums I have on my external drives.  As I write this, I have 6 TB of music stored on various externals.  Each volume represents a segment of the alphabet, so I know which volume has the music I’m looking for.

I also do this as an aid for my music students, so they can easily pick out an album or song to work on.  Each folder represents an album, which format is as follows:

Artist_Album_Album_Descriptor_Song_Title[format] 

I started using album descriptors because I have many releases of the same album with slight variations.  One may be a US release, and another may be a UK or European version of the same album.

Everyone has their own method, which works best for them.  The above is the way I do it.  It is by no means the only way.  

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

As I write this, I have 6 TB of music stored on various externals.

I’m just waiting for someone to say, “how many songs is that?”

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

As I write this, I have 6 TB of music stored on various externals.

I’m just waiting for someone to say, “how many songs is that?”

I don’t have a clue… I just got a ton more from an estate sale, so I guess I’ll have to pop for a couple more drives!!!