MTP Install Code 10 - Device will not work

I, too, had a similar problem with my older home PC not recognizing my Clip in MTP mode.  After surfing around, I found this link, typed in the code and, voila, instant MTP connection.

I’m not techie enough to know exactly what this line of code means.  I can attest, though, that it fixed my problem immediately after trying myriad other solutions.

YMMV…

Inga

New Clip user here. When I connected it for the first time today, I also got the code 10 error on my XP Pro SP3 box. I can confirm that adding the Local Service to the Administrators group fixed things up for me (though I did it via Computer Management rather than the command line).

It’s a really arcane sorta fix…but whatever works, right? :wink:

I tried the mentioned fix to add the local service to the Administrators group.  It  fixed my old PC MTP - error 10 problem also.  There is a trend here.

Here are the instructions:

-Make sure you are logged in as an administrator
-Open your command prompt (Start->Run->“cmd”->press Enter)
-Type the following:

Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add

Reconnect your device.

SansaFix

Message Edited by sansafix on 10-01-2008 10:38 AM

Message Edited by microsansa on 05-11-2009 04:06 PM

I want to share my experience with this issue, hoping it will help somebody. :smiley:

I have a Sansa Clip 2GB working O.K.; I used it with a Windows XP Pro SP2 with no problems, on MTP and MSC; on the same machine I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro N SP3 (european release with no WMP), connected the Clip, new device… device installed and ready to use, but it did’nt show up in explorer; I unplugged, set to MSC, plugged again and it showed up as a USB mass storage device, which still works great for me; in device manager the Clip set on MTP showed error 10; after some time I installed WMP(for reasons not related to the Clip) and noticed it did’nt recognise the player in the Sync category; after trying various actions this one fixed the MTP problem: while the device was plugged with the MSC setting on,  I selected it in device manager, from the USB controllers category under USB mass storege device, and uninstalled the driver so it would no longer be recognised by the system, unplugg, connect again the Clip, and Windows set it up as a portable device, thus working on the MTP as well as on the MSC setting.

Good luck!

Thanks to Vareg, noticed that he installed WMP again and I remembered that the SanDisk site mentioned that as one of the steps to get the Portable Device/sandisk recognized.  I did download and click on SYNC  and I noticed a dim Select Portable Device ?  ,  I did so, and windows media player Device Setup message box came up with Sansa player and button to click to finish!!!  This returned me back to Windows Media Player and there was the Portable Device, Sansa Player.  If u do nothing else, whenever the portable player appears  with a yellow icon in the Device Driver,  DOWNLOAD WMP.

Thanks Vareg for sharing.

Pauley

j’ai également reçu un sansa clip 1 GO et au moment de le connecter à mon ordi, il ne se trouvait pas dans le poste de travail malgré qu’il soit reconnu comme périphérique dans “gestionnaire de périf”. J’ai enfin trouvé la solution :
Le but de la manoeuvre est de basculer le mp3 en mode MSC ( ainsi il est reconnu comme une clé USB) donc :
1- éteindre ton mp3
2-enclencher la commande “hold” (verrouillage) à gauche du lecteur et vers le bas
3 - appuyer sur le bouton central et maintenir appuyer…
4 - brancher le cable USB fourni avec l’appareil en appuyant toujours sur le bouton central,
5 - connecter l’autre extrémité du câble sur une prise USB de ton ardi…
voili, voilou, ton mp 3 est enfin reconnu dans poste de travail.
J’ai Windows player 9 et tout fonctionne à merveille.
Il faut le faire savoir aux possesseurs de sansa clip car contrairement à ce que certains disent, c’est un très bon lecteur avec fonction enregistrement radio et voix et une très bonne qualité d’écoute.
Bonne continuation

solution #1: Forget the MTP install or then install WMPlayer 11

solution #2: Each time you you want to connect your sansa clip to your computer via USB

a) first shut off the mp3 sansa clip and put it to “hold”

b) then press and hold the cental button while connecting it to the USB cable

c) your computer will then recognize it as a USB key and no more need to install wmp11 or a prompt to install MTP driver or wathever

This was driving me CRAZY.  I stayed up for two hours just trying to figure out why my girlfriend’s Vista laptop gave me the Code 10 for BOTH of the TWO clips my girlfriend and I own… while my XP SP2 continues to read them fine.  Once before it wouldn’t recognize mine, but a simple reboot fixed it - only to have it completely refuse to work this time around.  However, after much Googling, this solution worked:

@sansafix wrote:

I tried the mentioned fix to add the local service to the Administrators group.  It  fixed my old PC MTP - error 10 problem also.  There is a trend here.

Here are the instructions:

-Make sure you are logged in as an administrator
-Open your command prompt (Start->Run->“cmd”->press Enter)
-Type the following:

Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add

Reconnect your device.

SansaFix

Message Edited by sansafix on 10-01-2008 10:38 AM

Message Edited by microsansa on 05-11-2009 04:06 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Hi, I’ve tried that solution hoping it would work, but when i type that in I get “System Error 5 has occurred…Access Denied.” I am running windows vista and I am the administrator.

Anyone know what that means?

you might have the UAC turned on… try to turn it off first or try running the cms cmd as admin

Message Edited by marqck on 06-20-2009 07:50 AM

hi,

i tried the command as admin but it still doesnt work. am i supposed to be connected to the internet? 

Thank you Parram!!!

that was way eaiser than all the other suggestions!  Everybody needs to try this first.

spline64

Sansafix,

I have been talking to Neutron Bob trying to fix this and still haven’t been able to resolve it.  I’m having a problem getting my XP machine to recognize my Sansa Fuze in MTP mode.  I download books from the library and after transferring them onto the player I can only listen to parts 1&2 and when it gets to part 3 it stops and  popup is displayed that says the following: “Please obtain this license by transferring title to device using audiobook software”.

I use Overdrive to transfer audiobooks to the player and from what I’ve read it has to be in MTP mode in order to copy the licenses.  I have removed WMP 11 and reinstalled it twice and then did your fix in DOS and it still doesn’t recognize it in MTP mode.   I even removed service pack 3 thinking that was the problem.  The player works on my work laptop so I know it’s not the player.  I plugged it into it and it immediately recognized it as an MTP device.  Any help would surely be appreciated.

Jerry

This is exactly the problem I am having, right down to parts 1 and 2 playing, but nothing beyond that. Did you ever solve it?

Please excuse a newbie, I realize previous post was unclear. Here is the post I am responding to–I have the identical problem and have also formatted my Clip+ 4GB, unstalled and reinstalled it (several times). I bought the Clip to listen to WMA audiobooks and so far, nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KLR

I have been talking to Neutron Bob trying to fix this and still haven’t been able to resolve it.  I’m having a problem getting my XP machine to recognize my Sansa Fuze in MTP mode.  I download books from the library and after transferring them onto the player I can only listen to parts 1&2 and when it gets to part 3 it stops and  popup is displayed that says the following: “Please obtain this license by transferring title to device using audiobook software”.

I use Overdrive to transfer audiobooks to the player and from what I’ve read it has to be in MTP mode in order to copy the licenses.  I have removed WMP 11 and reinstalled it twice and then did your fix in DOS and it still doesn’t recognize it in MTP mode.   I even removed service pack 3 thinking that was the problem.  The player works on my work laptop so I know it’s not the player.  I plugged it into it and it immediately recognized it as an MTP device.  Any help would surely be appreciated.

Overdrive Media is a tricky one.  You might have better results by first checking that MTP mode is working first.

To do this, select MTP mode, and look at the device using Windows Explorer.  If it shows up at the bottom of the listing under other , it’s in MTP.  this mode is necessary to transfer the license to the player.

First and foremost, you must use the Overdrive Media Console to transfer the audiobook.  Overdrive uses an earlier DRM encryption version that’s best handled by the Console client.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I had the Code 10 error and tried every solution I could find.  Setting Registry ENUM permissions didn’t work and neither did any other suggestion.  My fix was to go to Control Panel | Add or remove programs and remove Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 (it ran a rollback to version 10 automatically).  Setting my Sansa e260 to MSC mode worked but the files weren’t recognized when I copied them.  MTP mode on the Sansa had been working well with Media Monkey.

I noticed the driver details in Device Manager showed different drivers between working versions and non-working versions.  When WMP 10 was installed it used only wpdusb.sys.  When WMP 11 was installed, it also used wudfrd.sys as well as wpdusb.sys. 

I spend hours on this mess, and it seems others have too.  In my case, I feel WMP 11 was the problem!