MTP and MSC Modes

Well, here’s a stupid question: What do the different modes do? I left it on the preset, but I don’t know the difference between them. And does the different mode affect the music or album art??? Thanks!

– Panda

MTP is a proprietary Microsoft protocol. Only works in some programs, and only officially on Win XP and up. MSC is a long winded way of saying Universal Mass Storage (UMS), a standard USB format, that makes your player show up as a drive on any modern operating system.

I’m pretty sure MTP will be required in order to sync and play DRM’d WMA file. And I think there are some other things (playlists?) that are only possible with MTP.

There was some discussion about it here: link

Also, MTP is the only mode that will retain your song ratings. MSC will just wipe them out. As far as I know, there’s a bug where this only works with the internal flash. I always use MSC so I’m not completely sure what works in regard to song ratings.

Message Edited by bdb on 05-16-2009 11:21 AM

@not1975 wrote:

I’m pretty sure MTP will be required in order to sync and play DRM’d WMA file. And I think there are some other things (playlists?) that are only possible with MTP.

FYI, playlists work in both modes, but each mode uses a different format.  MTP uses WMP-style .pla playlists.  MSC mode uses Winamp-style .m3u playlists.