MTABLE.SYS

I have deleted all the music but it is still holding 1.8gb of data in the mtable.sys and i cannot get rid of this, so therefore cannot add any music! surely u don’t just get one chance to put music on and you can never delete/add songs?!

You can delete the MTable.sys file, then unplug the player from the computer and as the player refreshes the database, it’ll build a new MTable file.

If that doesn’t clear up the memory, you’ll need to format the player.  You can do that through the player’s settings.

I don’t understand why you can’t add anything if you’ve already deleted all your music. Do you only have a 2GB player?

I don’t understand why you can’t add anything if you’ve already deleted all your music. Do you only have a 2GB player?

The MTABLE.SYS file is only 1.77 MB in size, not GB.

Sorry yes it was only mb but the player is still saying i have no free space although there is no music on this. I have restored the factory settings but still no joy

Thanks for the replies people, i’ve had to format it and that seems to have worked, thanks again

@bignads2011 wrote:

Sorry yes it was only mb but the player is still saying i have no free space although there is no music on this. I have restored the factory settings but still no joy

Were you getting the “Not enough space for music DB . . .” error message? That rarely actually means what it says. Most of the time, it means your file system on the player has been corrupted.

Here’s the SanDisk KnowledgeBase article on the subject.

In addition to what has already been posted, it never hurts to reinstall the firmware.  If there’s any kind, even a tiny bit of corruption, it’ll fix it.  Just remember to adjust the settings after that’s done, especially the USB mode.  Installing/reinstalling the firmware will reset some of the settings back to their default ones.