mp3 recorder with microphone jack?

Why doesn’t Sandisk make these? It is hard to find something like this that is under $100. The potential market for these might be huge. The Olympus recorders that have a mic jack record in wma or a proprietary format. The Samson Zoom H2 Handy Recorder is around $170. I guess if Sandisk enters this market, they might be able to make something like the H2, but that is better and less expensive.

Or add the feature to a future mp3 player?

@jk98 wrote:
Why doesn’t Sandisk make these? It is hard to find something like this that is under $100. The potential market for these might be huge. The Olympus recorders that have a mic jack record in wma or a proprietary format. The Samson Zoom H2 Handy Recorder is around $170. I guess if Sandisk enters this market, they might be able to make something like the H2, but that is better and less expensive.

Those are recorders tho. Not players. The information has to be processed differently. My thought is that something that plugs into the USB port would be cool. Like an accessory, a microphone you can set up, that records the audio and processs it to a wav file or what ever then you plug it in thru the 30 pin plug and it transfers to the player. I think the best we will see as an on board deal is about what we have now on the fuze, perhaps a better quality.

“Those are recorders tho. Not players.”

There is a need for recorders though. Recorders both record and play. The difference is that recorders are designed primarily for recording, and don’t have video or photo viewing, and instead have many advanced features related to recording. The Zoom H2 is a bit heavy and bulky though as it uses 2 AA batteries. A recorder that is smaller and uses just one AA battery would be preferable. What do students use to record lectures? Are they recording them on netbooks?

@jk98 wrote:

“Those are recorders tho. Not players.”

There is a need for recorders though. Recorders both record and play. The difference is that recorders are designed primarily for recording, and don’t have video or photo viewing, and instead have many advanced features related to recording. The Zoom H2 is a bit heavy and bulky though as it uses 2 AA batteries. A recorder that is smaller and uses just one AA battery would be preferable. What do students use to record lectures? Are they recording them on netbooks?

I use my laptop with a small condensor mic. I see what you are saying and I agree Sandisk could make some good money with a product like this. But what I am saying is an Accessory for their existing players, would be a cheaper and easier way to “Test the waters” so to speak. If they make an accessory that a lot of people like then make the recorder.

I agree this would be a good feature for future models if current ones could not support it (through an adapter).  Having a recording feature is really pointless without a microphone jack.  That small hole won’t sufficiently record a class lecture or a music concert.

MiniDisc player-recorders, though they will never be as popular for playback, do way better for recording than any MP3 player I know of and that’s the only reason I still have one.

@tastywheat wrote:

MiniDisc player-recorders, though they will never be as popular for playback, do way better for recording than any MP3 player I know of and that’s the only reason I still have one.

My Neuros is pretty good at recording, enough that I’ve used it to record a few LP’s rather than haul the turntable and preamp over to the computer room.  A few choices of bitrate for mp3, choices of sample rate for wave up to 48 kHz.  Meters and L/R level control.  Unfortunately, discontinued.  

Minidisk, afaik, can only record in sony’s own lossy compression. 

I think a lot of the companies that used to have audio-in jacks in their mp3 player/recorders have moved on to AV players with record, though you could record just audio.

I have recorded some live music with my e200.  With Rockbox (so it has VU meters and level control) I just put it down on the grass at an outdoor concert.  I’d say it was about AM radio quality. 

Message Edited by donp on 01-08-2010 06:56 PM