mp3 bit rate and StationRipper question.

Which bit rate is most like “cd quality”?  Most of my files are 256kbps and that sound to me to be as good as cd quality.  I seem to get pretty good battery life out of my Fuze 4G playing 256kbps files.

I use StationRipper and only listened to the ShoutCast streams that are broadcasting at 256 or better.

Also, is there anyway I can get the URL for IMEEM so I can feed that into StationRipper?  I’d like to set up a playlist for IMEEM and then just let er rip (If I just know how to find the URL).

Mike

The only thing that is as good as CD quality is full-blown WAV or FLAC files. But given .mp3 is a lossy format, 256kbps is a pretty good compromise for file size. It’s what I use exclusively.

But the bottom line is your ears. What sounds good (or acceptable) to you? Try listening to a 256kbps .mp3 and a FLAC file (this format is supported with the recent firmware upgrades) of the same tune. Do you hear a difference? And is the increased file size worth it to you (fewer tracks will fit)?

You only have yourself to please. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

The only thing that is as good as CD quality is full-blown WAV or FLAC files. But given .mp3 is a lossy format, 256kbps is a pretty good compromise for file size. It’s what I use exclusively.

But the bottom line is your ears. What sounds good (or acceptable) to you? Try listening to a 256kbps .mp3 and a FLAC file (this format is supported with the recent firmware upgrades) of the same tune. Do you hear a difference? And is the increased file size worth it to you (fewer tracks will fit)?

You only have yourself to please. :wink:

Or APE or WMA lossless…and…

I rip at 312 or best quality OGG. Always. I don’t like FLAC because the files are monstrous compared to MP3/OGG/WAV. I make the tradeoff of SQ vs. quantity. and honestly it’s not a noticeable enough difference to me.

@peregrine wrote:

I rip at 312 or best quality OGG. Always. I don’t like FLAC because the files are monstrous compared to MP3/OGG/WAV. I make the tradeoff of SQ vs. quantity. and honestly it’s not a noticeable enough difference to me.

FLAC is much smaller than WAV…I assume you meant WMA, not WAV.  And doesn’t ogg go up to 500kbps? I stopped using it just because it isn’t universal, and I may not always have a player that supports it…3 out of 4(soon to be 2 outof 3 ) support it, but the players don’t last forever. Q6 seemed to sound very good to me when I experimented with it though.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 08-04-2009 10:04 PM

Yep. Meant .wav. I have also stopped using OGG since I got burned buying a Fuze and all my OGG’s became worthless. Of course they then added it 3 weeks later. That was very nice.

@peregrine wrote:

Yep. Meant .wav.

I don’t get it then. You said you didn’t like FLAC because the files were monstrous, but they’re a lot smaller then WAV files.

Sorry to confuse you, buddy. My reply to you was a typo. Yes I meant WMA… Windows Media Audio… not WAV… wave. 

I meant to type:

“Yep, meant .wma”.

Working on very little sleep here.

@peregrine wrote:

Sorry to confuse you, buddy. My reply to you was a typo. Yes I meant WMA… Windows Media Audio… not WAV… wave. 

I meant to type:

“Yep, meant .wma”.

Working on very little sleep here.

I thought so…just making sure.:smiley: