More problems

Seems as if i am unlucky with all  my sansa mp3 players.  Every one i have owned has broken at just about 1 year.  From the blue ring of death to the device wont turn on or the wheel completely locked up, something always goes wrong.  In the last 3 months i have returned my Fuse 2 times.  both times the device just turned off and wouldnt turn back on.  actually, the last one turned on but then turned off after fully booting up.  said goodbye too.  nice.  i bought the $10 warranty so i get a new one each time.  but reloading 800 songs is not what i like to do in my spare time. 

the question i have for those smarter than me, (not including the admin who threatened to ban me because i have an opinion on this product that he\she doesnt like) isssssssssssssss…are these devices not shock resistant?  further…i run quite a bit with my Fuse so does the bouncing cause these devices to fail so often? 

i love the functionality of the thing and thats what keeps me coming back…,…and i use rhapsody.  cant live without them.  

thanks for any help answering my question or providing ur own thoughts.  i wont ban you.  ;)

@ricksfz1 wrote:

the question i have for those smarter than me, (not including the admin who threatened to ban me because i have an opinion on this product that he\she doesnt like)

An opinion is one thing . . . talking trash and slandering for the sole purpose of illiciting a response from someone is considered ‘trolling’. It’s annoying and pointless.

@ricksfz1 wrote:

In the last 3 months i have returned my Fuse 2 times.  both times the device just turned off and wouldnt turn back on.  actually, the last one turned on but then turned off after fully booting up.

Did you try resetting them? Might have saved you a lot of aggravation and trips back to the store.

@ricksfz1 wrote:

. . . are these devices not shock resistant?  further…i run quite a bit with my Fuse so does the bouncing cause these devices to fail so often? 

According to some testimonials, they are very shock-resistant. People have told here (numerous times in fact) how their player inadvertantly went through not only the washing machine, but also the dryer before they discovered it. And they still worked.Then there was one fellow whose dog tried to eat his player. The LCD screen was shot, but the ‘band played on’. These can be rough-and-tumble little beasts.

But having said that, they are still small electronic devices assembled & soldered by computer-controlled machines. There will be duds.

The device is supposed to be shock resistant. At least, in my experience it is. I bike with my players (a 4GB and 8GB), and naturally fall a lot. Sometimes they’ll fly out of my pocket and slam into the ground at 30 MPH. The only recognizable damage is a scratch on the metal part. 

The weird booting thing: I’ve gone through that maybe 3 times. Every time, I hold the Power Switch in the On/Off position for maybe 20 seconds. Then I hit the switch again and it turns back on, totally fine. The same thing goes when it’s locked up or won’t go out of the blue ring. (If it doesn’t turn off no matter what you do, I would just leave it there until it drains its battery.)

Yet another satisfied customer.

It’s shock resistant, and the only moving parts are the wheel and switch, but it’s still not a hockey puck.

Yes, there are defective units out there, and maybe you were unlucky.

However, some problems can be solved by fixing the files themselves.

If you’re adding albums yourself, not going through Rhapsody, their ID3 tags (electronic labels for Artist, Album, etc.) may not be compatible.

There’s a free piece of software to make sure they are. mp3tag

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. 

Before you send an album over, right-click on its folder and choose mp3tag from options for opening it. When mp3tag opens, highlight all the songs in and make sure they are in playing order from top to bottom. (You may have to click the Track header)–scroll right if you don’t see it). Click Tools, go to Auto-Numbering Wizard, check Leading Zeroes and run it. 

This will give the album track numbers from 01, 02, on up. (The Fuze reads from the first digit, so otherwise the songs would play 1, 10, 11, 12, …2, etc. ) Since you set the default, it will also change the tag version, if necessary, to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Takes a few seconds, and eliminates a lot of glitches.

ricksfz1 wrote:

the question i have for those smarter than me, (not including the admin who threatened to ban me because i have an opinion on this product that he\she doesnt like) 

I am not so sure calling out the board admin is such a smart thing. you are really coming over as a whiny little brat and on most boards would be ban just for calling out the admin. for your sake I hope the admin has a better sense of humor than I do.