Minimal Player with Maximum Impact

SanDisk Team,

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. That being said…

The Clip+ is the first device I have purchase from SanDisk and I am thoroughy impressed. This device encompasses just about everything I have been searching for in a portable audio player for quite some time (read multiple years). In fact, I gave up using my ZuneHD in favor of the Clip+. To be able to offer such great audio quality and room for expansion in such a small device is quite a feat!

In any event, the point I wish to get across is that while you guys over at SanDisk may or may not be marketing your devices to a lower-end demographic (just presuming based upon prices alone), there is definantly a market (even in the higher-end demographic) for devices like these. I hope that even if you decide to start marketing “higher-end” (and this term is completely relative) devices that you keep in mind the same principles which helped design the Clip+.

Features that I absolutely enjoy and hope will continue into future products (no particular order):

1 - Compact design

2 - Storage capacity / Expandability

3 - Sound quality

4 - Minimal user interface (A portable audio player should do one thing and do it well. Play audio. I absolutely despise audio players that try to implement pictures and video and the like.)

5 - Codec support

6 - MSC mode

The one feature that I currently see could be improved upon in future products would be battery life. I know that it was not an option for this device (possibly due to lacking sizable technology), but hopefully smaller batteries will be available for future models.

Also, I am very impressed with the level of customer feedback. You seem to be a group that really values it’s customers. This can be seen in the fact that you’ve implemented both FLAC and OGG codecs, have added the MicroSD card slot to the Clip+ as request, and have released firmware updates on a regular basis. This kind of support is spectacular and not found often. Please never stray from this practice.

You have won a true customer for the forseable future. I will also be speaking highly of this company to all who will listen and will surely recommend (at least) the Clip+ to any in seach of a portable audio device.

Keep up the great work!

Message Edited by bfisher on 06-22-2010 10:12 PM

Was this part of your signing bonus agreement when you hired on at SanDisk last week? :stuck_out_tongue:

Very funny =P

Yes, it really is quite the glowing report. And many may not agree with my point of view. But the fact is that I’ve spent far too long searching for a player that does what this thing does (and JUST does what it does). I don’t get why all of the players have to have build in hd cameras and video playback (especially on a 2" - 2.5" screen). I don’t need my device to do anything, nor do I want it to do anything, other than play the music I’ve specifically put on it. The interface sold me alone. The fact that it’s currently expandable up to 36GB (I’ve got a 4GB model) is just a plus.

I also thought it would be nice to let the developers know how highly I think of their work and commitment to listenening to customer feedback. How many years has it been since Apple (or Microsoft for that matter) implemented native OGG and FLAC support? Oh yeah, that’s right, they haven’t. And wasn’t the ReplayGain issue solved within something like just 3-4 months after the problems were found? Just a couple examples.

I’m not saying that the Clip+ is perfect. I’m just saying that for what it is, it’s pretty impressive. My main point, however, is that I hope SanDisk doesn’t forget how to implement similar devices and listen to customer feedback as it’s sales increase over the years. For what it’s worth, I would quite happily pay good money (the equivelant of an iPhone or ZuneHD or the like) if SanDisk could release a similar player with better build quality and a larger battery (providing the features I enjoy about the Clip+ were still in tact).

It’s the Keep It Simple Stupid principle =)

I’m with you…the Clip+ is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There are only 2 things I would change, if I had a magic wand I could wave…a faster refresh time, and a longer-lasting battery, and neither of these things stops me from using mine at least 6 days out of 7.:smileyvery-happy: