Microsoft Officially Unveils Windows 8

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-o​fficially-unveils-windows-8/

Discuss.

Hey, the interface is definitely a breath of fresh air.  The hitch? Awesome with a touch screen, but what’s new for working your computer with a mouse?

The touch funcitonality might be interesting when operated via a touchpad, as on a laptop computer.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Sure, fine for a pad, but not at all interested for my main computer or laptop.  And I’m tired of this constant OS upgrade cycle, with Microsoft thinking that people are going to shell out major bucks to “upgrade” a computer’s OS every 3 years, with major hassle … it’s just the OS, for heaven’s sake, and should be quietly invisible. 

@miikerman wrote:

Sure, fine for a pad, but not at all interested for my main computer or laptop.  And I’m tired of this constant OS upgrade cycle, with Microsoft thinking that people are going to shell out major bucks to “upgrade” a computer’s OS every 3 years, with major hassle … it’s just the OS, for heaven’s sake, and should be quietly invisible. 

You could always buy a Mac! :dizzy_face:

As far as my thoughts on Windows 8, I haven’t bothered watching any of the videos…I am quite content with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop, and 7 Home Premium 32-bit on my netbook.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Or 2 or 3 Windows laptops for the price of a Mac laptop.   :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Or 2 or 3 Windows laptops for the price of a Mac laptop.   :wink:

I think you missed the intended joke. :wink: I was not seriously suggesting buying a Mac with their sky-high prices and lack of compatibility with so much of the software I use…just joking that this would be a way to bypass the Windows OS upgrades. Did you perhaps miss what I had hidden beneath the spoiler tag? Here it is below…

As far as my thoughts on Windows 8, I haven’t bothered watching any of the videos…I am quite content with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop, and 7 Home Premium 32-bit on my netbook.”

I’m a PC…even if I do enjoy my Touch.:stuck_out_tongue:

Nope, Marvin–understood your intent immediately! :slight_smile: And I agree–being a somewhat anti-consumer consumer and wanting value and lasting ability, I’ve always marveled at the price of much of the Apple line–is an Apple laptop really worth 2 or 3 times the price of my up-to-spec Toshiba laptop, that I then can update twice as often without feeling a wasteful spendthrift? I’ve often wanted to get a Mac (temporarily) just to check that out–is the experience really different, to justify the price? In the end, I think that the constraints that Steve has built into his ecosystem would frustrate me and more than overpower the benefits.

Hey, I’ve had some Apples when most folks had no idea what they were.  I still remember the funky little original Mac, loved the industrial design of the translucent iMac, even had a few PowerPC ones years ago.

What happened?  I grew up, I suppose.  For me, solving problems involves breaking out the wrenches, so to speak.  I can’t simply throw money at the problem as the company offers newer and sleeker versions of the same thing.

For the price of a Mac, I can go to HP and buy three complete systems ready to fly.  And I am quite comfortably assured that the service lifetime of those machines is better than the alternative.  For some, “turnkey” is their solution.  For others, waiting in the cold all night, hoping to be the first to smack the Visa card on the sales counter, after hours in a tent on the sidewalk, what can I possibly say? 

I like a computer that has available ports, SD card slots, USB slots, expandable through vendors I choose, not from a single source (hint hint).  If I want to optimize video processing so my wife can Warcraft at warp 9, so be it.  Or if I want to add a bank of digital samplers, making a lab machine or DSO station, there you go.  Can’t do that with a Mac as easily.

very good information…

@neutron_bob wrote:

I like a computer that has available ports, SD card slots, USB slots, expandable through vendors I choose, not from a single source (hint hint).  If I want to optimize video processing so my wife can Warcraft at warp 9, so be it.  Or if I want to add a bank of digital samplers, making a lab machine or DSO station, there you go.  Can’t do that with a Mac as easily.

But Uncle Steve says you don’t NEED those things, so clearly you don’t.:smileyvery-happy: