Micro SD advice

Am pulling movies from trips (44GB)and photos off a computer.

Are the micro SD’s going to be the future of digital storage?

Will future gadgets mainly have slots for the micro SD without the adapters?

Had purchased SD’s then found out were the micros, was going to return, but thought maybe should go ahead, use, not exchange them

Any advice would appreciate.

TerrinaKnewon

It depends on what devices you use (or anticipate using in the future). Different devices use different sizes. Most cameras for example use the full-size SD cards where mp3 players typically use the Micro size.

I certainly wouldn’t buy a particular size waiting for the technology to catch up or just in case you might get a product at some point in the future that could use one. Memory prices are low, and will probably stay that way, except of course when a new product comes out. For example, the 64GB Micro SDXC card when it came out was over $200 if I recall correctly about a year ago. You can now get them for around $50. Same thing happened with the 32GB Micro SD card, and the 16GB on before that. You can get a 32GB (Micro) card for about 20 bucks now.

It depends on what devices you use (or anticipate using in the future). Different devices use different sizes. Most digital cameras for example use the full-size SD cards where mp3 players & phones typically use the Micro size.

I certainly wouldn’t buy a particular size waiting for the technology to catch up or just in case you might get a product at some point in the future that could use one. Memory prices are low, and will probably stay that way, except of course when a new product comes out. For example, the 64GB Micro SDXC card when it came out was over $200 if I recall correctly about a year ago. You can now get them for around $50. Same thing happened with the 32GB Micro SD card, and the 16GB on before that. You can get a 32GB (Micro) card for about 20 bucks now.

Thank You Tapeworm for your reply!!!:smiley:

I accidently discovered the micro SDs when I got a smart phone. Did not know they were also used in mp3 players.

It was the 16GB’s that I purchased to store the movies and photos on from the computer are currently on.

The only way these will be used is with digital photo frames and be used for digital storage. That way can transfer them onto a different computer down the road if choose to.

In case something would go wrong with the cards, decided not to go with the larger GBs.

I would say that I will not exchange the micro SDs for the regualar camera sized cards and go ahead and use these.

I appreciate your contribution, advice and education!

Lost my teenager helper that would have been able to answer these questions for me.

TK:wink:

I agree. I also think that the reason why they can hold lower than traditional flash drive is that they are designed to be small, with that comes with limitation in capacity. 

@peleus wrote:

I agree. I also think that the reason why they can hold lower than traditional flash drive is that they are designed to be small, with that comes with limitation in capacity. 

What are you talking about? Micro SD cards come in capacities up to 64GB . . . with a 128GB one probably going to be released soon.

Flash memory is good for relatively short term storage, however I wouldn’t trust it for long term storage(5 years or more). If you do plan to use it for longer term storage, it would be a good idea to connect the card at least once every 6 months. As a practical matter, if these videos are important to you, you should make a few backups, putting some on DVD-R discs(keeping these in a cool dark place), and putting some copies in a separate location.