Miami Herald asks online readers for donations

Are newspapers becoming charities? This seems so weird. Their web pages have ads, however I guess online ad revenue isn’t enough. 

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iyyouBk-R3lV7m8ddfUUpfpW6VcwD9CK2DLO1

It’s not that surprising to me.  When people can go on the web to get their news for free, how many are going to pay for a newspaper?   That’s alot of lost revenue.

The free online news articles have ads though. Yahoo and others make plenty from free content they offer with ads. Why can’t newspapers make money from online news articles with ads?

@jk98 wrote:
The free online news articles have ads though. Yahoo and others make plenty from free content they offer with ads. Why can’t newspapers make money from online news articles with ads?

All print media is in the toilet.  Some experts say there will be very little print media available of any kind in 10 years.

"All print media is in the toilet. Some experts say there will be very little print media available of any kind in 10 years. "

Providers need to transition to electronic media. Save the trees!

Hehe!  Who thought up this crap, Dr.Evil?  I don’t know how things may work in your office, but since transitioning to PC, I am flabbergasted at the quantity of printer paper that runs through, by the pallet load.

So much for paperless.

I get my local paper both in print, and as a daily pdf edition.  I am looking forward to one of the Plastic Logic devices to read the electronic version on the go.

Do you remember this quote?

Janine Melnitz: You’re very handy, I can tell. I bet you like to read a lot, too.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Print is dead.
Janine Melnitz: Oh, that’s very fascinating to me. I read a lot myself. Some people think I’m too intellectual but I think it’s a fabulous way to spend your spare time. I also play raquetball. Do you have any hobbies?
Dr. Egon Spengler: I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

You reminded me of that line (Ghostbusters, 1984), “print is dead”.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: