Metadata Scrambled

Hello, I just got a Sansa Fuze+ the other day and am happy with my purchase so far. However, I’ve noticed that about half of my music has correct metadata and album art, which the other half mysteriously does not. I’ll click on a song to listen to it, and usually the TITLE of that song is listed correctly, but it’ll have the wrong artist, album, and art assigned to it…which it fetches from the various other artists and info on the player. It’s like it put half of my music in the blender and the metadata all got randomly assigned to the wrong music.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to fix it? How come it’s only happening to some of my music, and not all? This has happened both when I sync media with Windows Media Player as well as merely dragging and dropping the files into the folder. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I compressed all of my MP3 files with (]MP3 Quality Modifier so I could fit more music on the device (I have a 4 GB; I’ll be buying an SD card in the future but don’t have one right now), but I have used this practice for a long time with various other MP3 players and never had an issue before. Not to mention I’ve compressed almost everything on the player, and yet only about half of my files have jumbled information like this, which strikes me as odd.

Is there any way I can fix this problem? As you can imagine, it’s irritating to have the wrong information attached to my music.

Windows Media Player has an ID3 tag editor, termen the “advanced tag editor” in WiMP11, but the functions were radically changed in WiMP12 and Windows 7.  Somehow, Microsoft has an affinity for shooting themselves in the foot.

With the latest player version, you have to play Mouseketeer and tinker with the interface directly, as interesting things pop about with right- and double-clicks on the album.  Dreadful.  The best choice is to use a dedicated ID3 tag editor, but there’s one caveat: do your editing on the computer side of the equation, as my favorite tag editor isn’t quite happy “reaching across the MTP fence” to your player.

Download MP3Tag and have a look at those ID3tags on your troublesome “joined” files.  Something obviously has been corrupted in the process, it doesn’t take much to give the device a headache.  Once the tags have been corrected, delete the troublemakers on the player, and transfer the new music files over to the Fuze.  See if they identify correctly after the device refreshes the music database.

The Fuze+ likes ID3 v2.3 ISO 8859-1 (Latin-I) format best.  Incidentally, this is the default output format for Windows Media Player.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: