I’ve been using MergeMP3 to merge ripped audiobook files for years with no problems on my ancient Clip. Every couple of years I get a new bunch of audiobook CDs from the library, and this year I did everything the same as I’ve done in previous years. However, regardless of how many or how few files are merged, the Sansa reboots and refuses to play the merged file. It will run each unmerged file just fine.
I have tried everything. My tagging is complete (using Mp3Tag) for the individual files, and I also tagged the merged files. I’ve factory reset the Clip. I’ve updated the firmware. I also tried a merged MP3 on a brand-new Clip (yes, I have 2 brand-new clips that I’ve held in reserve for years). Same problem. I have to soft-boot to get it unfrozen and then delete the file using my computer to access the Clip.
As a test, I loaded a merged file that I created last April and had successfully listened to on my Clip, but now THAT file won’t load either.
I’m pretty sure this isn’t a problem with the MergeMP3 program, but just in case it was, I installed an older version of MergeMP3 on my laptop, merged a few audiobook files, and tried THAT on the Clip. Same problem. There is no working email address for Shchuka.com, the developer for MergeMP3, so I cannot contact them to get their ideas. (email@example.com bounces and their online contact form fails to send a message.) But I’m pretty sure this is a Clip problem, not an MergeMP3 problem.
I know this is an ancient MP3 player and I can see that no one has used this board for a few years. But I’m hoping that someone has some new ideas for me. I’ve spent 3 days now trying to solve this problem and am out of ideas.