Memory capacity doubles

How come memory capacity always doubles? Like for instance the Fuze is available in 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB. MicroSD cards are available in 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB. I don’t expect the next big capacity MicroSD card to be 24GB, instead I expect 32GB. Then after that its 64GB.

Any reason for this convention in doubling of memory? I hear that the Fuze currently only handles up to 16GB. Would future 32GB or 64GB cards have full compatability?

@lukev wrote:

How come memory capacity always doubles? Like for instance the Fuze is available in 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB. MicroSD cards are available in 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB. I don’t expect the next big capacity MicroSD card to be 24GB, instead I expect 32GB. Then after that its 64GB.

Any reason for this convention in doubling of memory? I hear that the Fuze currently only handles up to 16GB. Would future 32GB or 64GB cards have full compatability?

I dont know why sizes double. In assume it has something to do with the way its made.

The fuze supports the 32 gig (When it hits the market). I assume the 64 gig will be but haven’t heard a release date.

It’s because digital counts using a binary, each addition of a number doubles the last one.

1 = 1

10 = 2

100 = 4

1000 = 8

So to double the amount of memory they only need one additional address line. If you wanted say a 6G player it would require enough address lines to address a total of 8 anyway so why not make it an 8G.