Main menu in form of a list

I’d love to see an option of turning the main menu to a simple list of items, similar to other menus.

The current solution isnt too bad, but I often skip the position I wanted to choose. This does not happen in other, listed menus.

Obviously this should be optional, since I know that the icon menu is pretty recognizable.

What do you think? This shouldn’t be too complex to implement.

Cheers

I think having the choice would be nice.  Mine also skips, I think it’s the new firmware, it’s made the scroll faster.  My cell phone has the option as did my last cell phone that I bought 3 years ago, so it can’t be too hard since the technology has been around.

I don’t know which I would prefer but a list might be nice too.  Or even switching it back and forth for fun.

Even better than a list for the start screen would be for example to have a press of the 12 o clock position on the wheel for music, the 3 oclock position for podcasts, the 9 oclock for audiobooks, then the 6 oclock for a list of other functions that could be scrolled through. Having a button just used for home seems a bit lame. Why not have the button used for shift instead, so each other button can be used for 2 functions. The home button could be used for home as well with a long press of it, or perhaps 2 presses in a row?

I dont agree, having a shift button on such a small device would make things complicated. Besides, its so easy to use with only one hand, lets not change it. 

and the ‘o-clock’ buttons are already used for navigating among menus and for the play/pause toggle.

generally I think the GUI is very well made and well structured, I find it very logical and easy to use.

However, giving us the choice to switch between a common list menu and the icons would be great.

n** otice how easy it is to precisely select items even from a huge variety of options when you have a typical list**, for instance on the list of songs.

such accuarcy is impossible with the icon list we have now, mainly because you dont see all the options at once and consequently you have to pay attention all the time.

I am positive that its easy to implement, because such lists are everywhere apart from the main menu. I hope it will be considered for the future update.

Message Edited by Riven on 11-06-2008 09:30 AM

Message Edited by Riven on 11-06-2008 09:31 AM

ton "I dont agree, having a shift button on such a small device would make things complicated. Besides, its so easy to use with only one hand, lets not change it. "

The shift button could be like on a calculator. It wouldn’t have to be held down, but rather just pressed before a  button is pressed to get the second function assigned to that button.

But then how would you go back to the main menu? Or - when in the main menu - quickly come back to the “Now playing” screen?

No, this is too much. Besides, I see no use for this, really. As I said, the interface is very easy to use, the main menu is the only disadvantage…