Linux Support

Is there anyway to get full Linux Support for the Sansa e250 that allows access to a memory card if installed? All you can access in Linux is the players internal memory when it’s set to MTP mode and even then it sometimes has problems mounting and remounting.

Why did they not just have it appear as a removable drive and if a 2 GB memory card is inserted it would show up as a 4 GB removable drive, why make it Windows only? Not everyone uses Windows  many people prefer to use a better OS and have a Mac or Linux.

daldude wrote:

Is there anyway to get full Linux Support for the Sansa e250 that allows access to a memory card if installed? All you can access in Linux is the players internal memory when it’s set to MTP mode and even then it sometimes has problems mounting and remounting.

Why did they not just have it appear as a removable drive and if a 2 GB memory card is inserted it would show up as a 4 GB removable drive, why make it Windows only? Not everyone uses Windows  many people prefer to use a better OS and have a Mac or Linux.

They did. It’s called MSC mode. MTP mode is for transferring DRM-encrypted files (like CRapsody subscription service or audio books rented/borrowed from your local library) by ‘syncing’ through Windows Media Player.

Linux & Mac users both must use MSC, which makes the player’s internal memory and any inserted external memory card appear to your computer as just another storage medium, like a thumb drive or external USC hard drive. You will see 2 new drive letters assigned, one for the player and the other for the card.

See?

daldude wrote:

They did. It’s called MSC mode. MTP mode is for transferring DRM-encrypted files (like CRhapsody subscription service or audio books rented/borrowed from your local library) by ‘syncing’ through Windows Media Player.

Linux & Mac users both must use MSC, which makes the player’s internal memory and any inserted external memory card appear to your computer as just another storage medium, like a thumb drive or external USC hard drive. You will see 2 new drive letters assigned, one for the player and the other for the card.

See?

Hmm, That’s Weird, the first time I tried that it did not work but now it does or at least I think so, maybe I had it in MTP mode with the card installed but then removed it and went back to MSC but forgot to put the memory card back in or maybe when it messed up because I forgot to unmount it freaked out Linux or it could have been because the first time I tried was before updating to the latest firmware. Well whatever the problem was it now seems to work ok, I now see two 2 GB Removable drives, one called Sansa e250 and the other justlabeled 2.0 GN Media. COOL!!

Thanks.

:smileyvery-happy:

That was short lived, now it’s back to not seeing the player at all when set to MSC mode and only sees the player in MTP mode and I even plugged the cable into the back of my PC to a USB Port directly on the Motherboard and still same problems.

The dang thing is going back to Compusa for a 85% refund or maybe store credit so I can get a battery charger and avoid the stupid restocking fee.