Linux: Firmware upgrade doesn't work :-(

HI gang, 

I have a Sansa Clip which I am using on a Linux system.  I would like to upgrade the firmware to 01.01.30a, so I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, revealing m300a.bin. When I first plugged the clip into the USB port, “fdisk -l” reported what looked like a corrupt partition table.  In the clip device, I issued the Settings->Format command.  Afterwards, the partition table looked much better, but there were no partitions.  I created a FAT32 partition and a filesystem.

Now, there is one partition on the clip, id b (Win95 FAT32), as shown by “fdisk -l”. 

/dev/sdb1               1        1022     1995935    b  W95 FAT32

The filesystem was created with “mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1”. 

It mounts just fine with “mount /dev/sdb1 /media/clip” and “df -h” shows the following:

/dev/sdb1             1.9G  4.0K  1.9G   1% /media/clip

OK, so now I do the following:

cp m300a.bin /media/clip

Using “ls /media/clip”, I see the file. It is about 5.1Mbytes in size.

umount /media/clip

Disconnect the clip from USB.  The clip now says “Refreshing Database”. 

I then go into the Settings -> System Info menu, but it still says that I have firmware version V01.01.18A.  This leads me to believe that the firmware update did not work.  Even after power cycling the device, I get the same result.

What must I do differently to get the firmware update to work?  Please note that I do not have any Windows systems at my disposal.

Thanks for your help.  My 10 yr old son will be happy to be using his new Sansa Clip soon!

Andy

I just successfully upgraded the firmware on my 4gig clip, and I’m using linux as well (Kubuntu).  I just used konqueror to drag and drop the file into the root directory of the clip, and the device started to upgrade as soon as I unmounted it.  Are you sure the bin file went to the root directory?  I noticed that there are two different firmware packages depending on the hardware revision 1 or 2.  My only suggestion is to make sure you have the right version of the firmware, or possibly to check permissions and make sure the file is executable on the clip (I’m not even sure what the actual operating system on the clip is, and if it even has file permissions).

HI swampdoc,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve checked everything that you mentioned, unfortunately to no avail. I am wondering if you created the partitions the same way that I described in my post.

Thanks,

Andy

@andywlug wrote:

HI swampdoc,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve checked everything that you mentioned, unfortunately to no avail. I am wondering if you created the partitions the same way that I described in my post.

Thanks,

Andy

The fact that you had to reformat is bothersome.  Was the player in “MSC” mode or “MTP”?

I’m not a real whiz on MTP, but I’ve read that files transferred into one system don’t show up in the other.  I wonder if you put the update into MTP then it isn’t found by the player when it looks in the “real” MSC file system.