Just got my Clip+. Question about interface

Whenever I try to get into settings, the device either freezes, and I have to reset it myself, or it resets it by myself. Also, the titles of categories that I assume to be Artist, Album, Song, etc. are formatted strangely and are either blank or denoted by just the letter g or a bunch of boxes. Is this a common problem? I tried updating the firmware using the updater but it only said the manual was available to download. Ideas?

@scheng12 wrote:

Whenever I try to get into settings, the device either freezes, and I have to reset it myself, or it resets it by myself. Also, the titles of categories that I assume to be Artist, Album, Song, etc. are formatted strangely and are either blank or denoted by just the letter g or a bunch of boxes. Is this a common problem? I tried updating the firmware using the updater but it only said the manual was available to download. Ideas?

I suggest you return or exchange it while you still can.  It sounds like the firmware is seriously flawed.  A firmware update or reinstallation may or may not fix it, but you shouldn’t have to start off with a new player (or a refurb) in that kind of condition.  And no, it’s not a common problem.

I agree. Send it back.

I’m curious though, was this a brand-new unit or a refurb?

You might try reapplying the firmware manually, and see if that fixes things.  See the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum for the firmware and how-to steps.  It can’t hurt . . . .