iTunes gift cards - good idea/bad idea?

I think that a 128GB jukebox flash player easily could be brought out at $300-$400 at this point, if not less, the way flash memory prices have lowered (and given the buying/manufacturing clout of a SanDisk or Apple).  And hey, if you can buy a SanDisk 16GB microSD card for $23 (Amazon pricing just now), string 8 of them together in a 4GB Clip+ ($30-$40), and you have a 132GB player for less than $225. 

Imagine the stir that SanDisk would create coming out with that.

As for a Touch, I think that Apple could bring it out for $400 ($450 just feels too expensive, at this point).  Even Apple has to reflect the lowering cost of memory and how much profit it can extract out of wallets.  And that certainly would help in cementing down Apple’s position further (sorry, SanDisk–but the door is open there for you as well, if you just would go through it!).

@marvin_martian wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Actually, I see as first up the iPod Touch with 128GB flash memory–the prices have come down and the technology up in the last year so as to support it at present (and then, likely, RIP sweet iPod Classic). 

I see no reason why SanDisk couldn’t have a mega-memory Clip (the “Clip Super +” ?), especially with its foundation as a memory company.  But SanDisk doesn’t seem interested in mega-memory/jukebox players. 

A 128GB Touch would probably be $450-$500, don’t you think? The 64GB is $369 at Walmart.com, $362 is the lowest Amazon price currently.

I don’t think SanDisk is interested in jukebox players either, for the simple reason that it falls outside their “budget player” niche that they’ve carved out.

Another case where looking and/or purchasing on-line is not always the best solution.  I recently purchased a 64GB Touch locally at a brick and mortar store for $299–and it was fresh new stock and the latest generation.  Not that price is a major concern with me; it’s just that I like to support my local merchants rather than being just another “sale” with the mass on-line retailers.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Talk about marketing muscle!  Apple iTunes cards are everywhere, yes?  If only iTunes wasn’t such a Trojan Horse when it comes to your media library.  iTunes is like letting the door-to-door vacuum salesman “spread a little dirt” and demonstrate the new product…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Most of the time, I agree with your viewpoint; but I can’t with this.  I’ve tried all the media library software out there; and find that iTunes works among the best with the least amount of intrusion to your system.  Sure, iTunes, like all of the media managers out there have little gremlins floating around (as default options) that aren’t exactly welcome…but with a few minutes of minor tweaking, iTunes can behave itself quite nicely.  I guess everyone has opinions about this issue; and being on a non-iPod/iTunes specific forum, it is not too surprising that there would be quite a bit of iPod/iTune dislike sentiment here.  Which is fine.  Makes not a bit of difference to me, as I enjoy every single one of the iPods I own.

@neutron_bob wrote:

…you need MP3 format for the Clip / Clip+ from iTunes, or with Rockbox, you can indeed play AAC.  Installing Rockbox so you can redeem an iTunes gift card does somehow reminiscent of using tactical nuclear weapons to solve a fruit fly infestation. 

This would be the case!  Doesn’t Rockbox kill my ability to use DRM files, like audiobooks from Overdrive.com?  If so, Rockbox is not an option, at least not for my Clip(s). 

Thanks, interesting discussion.

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

…you need MP3 format for the Clip / Clip+ from iTunes, or with Rockbox, you can indeed play AAC.  Installing Rockbox so you can redeem an iTunes gift card does somehow reminiscent of using tactical nuclear weapons to solve a fruit fly infestation. 

This would be the case!  Doesn’t Rockbox kill my ability to use DRM files, like audiobooks from Overdrive.com?  If so, Rockbox is not an option, at least not for my Clip(s). 

Thanks, interesting discussion.

At one time, there was the possibility that installing Rockbox would kill a Sansa’s ability to play DRM’d content, but this may no longer be true. Can anyone confirm?

@gwk1967 wrote:

At one time, there was the possibility that installing Rockbox would kill a Sansa’s ability to play DRM’d content, but this may no longer be true. Can anyone confirm?

When I inquired about this 6-12 months ago, a few people anecdotally reported that installing Rockbox did not kill the ability to play DRM’ed content under the Clip original firmware.  I haven’t heard reports one way or the other over the past few months.  An update would be great to hear.

I note that one of the Rockbox pages still carries the following caveat–it’s unclear to what extent this is based on real issues or simply covering oneself …

Disclaimer :

• Even though the bootloader installation and rockbox itself are tested, there’s always a risk of BRICKING your device PERMANENTLY. Some Sansa AMS (m200 v4, C200 v2, Clip v2) have no known method for recovery, so this risk will not go away, even in (if any) future stable releases.
  • There’s no known user-friendly recovery method for the AMS Sansas, those of them who can be unbricked (not all of them can) need to be physically opened, and they can be potentially damaged in the process.
  • Installation of a bootloader may or may not permanently disable DRM support, even if you uninstall it (this might only be true if you change the Date/Time settings).

@gwk1967 wrote:

You’ll have to see if saratoga weighs in…I have no DRM files to test.

By the way, the Rockbox manuals for the Clips state similarly as to DRM:

DRM capability.
It is possible that installation of the bootloader may lead to you permanently losing the ability to playback files with DRM.

If anyone has ever tried installing rockbox and then playing DRM’ed files on their Clip+, they’ve never told me about it.  Few if any of our users care about DRM support.  

If I find the courage to Rockbox my son’s Clip+, I’ll let you know about DRM files.  Our library doesn’t subscribe to too many kid’s books so DRM wouldn’t be a great loss for him.

I’ve been happy with the original firmware.  Although I was interested enough in Rockbox to investigate, playing AAC files would be the first real reason I’d have to load it.

Thanks for the input.

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

If I find the courage to Rockbox my son’s Clip+, I’ll let you know about DRM files.  Our library doesn’t subscribe to too many kid’s books so DRM wouldn’t be a great loss for him.

I’ve been happy with the original firmware.  Although I was interested enough in Rockbox to investigate, playing AAC files would be the first real reason I’d have to load it.

Thanks for the input.

Yup.  That’s really the only reason I’ve rockboxed my Fuzes and Clips (also Clip+s)…for .aac support.  At least for me, all of my Rockboxed units play .aac files just fine.

Indeed GB , I hope I didn’t ruffle any feathers.

I haven’t tried the latest iTunes client, beyond a quick browsing. I’m sure it is worlds apart from the early variant I struggled with, once I get a chance to work with it for a little longer.  iTunes wanted to mess with file associations- just like Rhapsody, RealPlayer, and others do as well, wanting to wrest control away from Windows Media Player.

Back when computers were significantly less powerful (and fast) as modern ones, this was a huge problem.

I have tinkered with iTunes a little bit on my neighbor’s computer, and find navigation much better.  Rhapsody has radically updated their experience as well. 

I have a major bone to pick, watching the price of compressed and lossy media being sold at $1.29 per track, with the “bonus” of being DRM-free.  Like you, OK for some quick tracks, but give me the whole PCM enchilada, for less per track, for a real CD.  Something’s wrong with their math. Oh, sorry, it’s just greed.  My bad.

Sounds like you found a decent price on the Touch.  For a product that’s so very commonly available, the strict control on price really ■■■■■.  It’ my biggest point of contention with all things Apple.  Not that I don’t like them, I have owned a whole gaggle of Apple products, starting with the II, IIe, II+, c, the original (kinda cool, looking back) b&w Mac, PowerPC, iMac (those things were really cool when they debuted, talking of the concentional CRT version, transparent case and all.  I still look fondly at the wee MiniMac, the little rounded box with CD slot.  That’s a cool design.

The iPad?  Eeewww.  No USB ports.  Bigger problem?  No SD card slots, just a bloated iPhone, hehe.  I have no issue with the overall package.

Back to AAC format.  It’s a natural progression from basic MP3.  Nice to see the format supported on the Fuze+.  Installing Rockbox would normally be a no-brainer, as you know I love to tinker.  But I cannot risk zorching Rhapsody or Audible capabilities, so Rockbox is a risky proposition in my case. 

Not a problem at all, Bob.  Yep, I rarely purchase anything at the iTunes store, if it is available on CD.  My preference will always be a lossless format…but they (iTunes) have tons of content that you can’t find anywhere else.  And being the completist I am where it comes to artists; I tend to pick up these iTunes only issues as well.  Generally speaking, I’ve been pretty much pleased with the quality of the content.  I just downloaded a “Sessions” release by Diane Birch the other day, and it sounds quite good.  It was encoded at 256 VBR .aac in the .m4a container.  Not as good as lossless, but it still sounds quite good.

Don’t get me wrong.  I still use and enjoy my Sansas (as well as other Brands), but I don’t consider Apple, iPod or iTunes evil like some people do.  I’ve been very happy with my Nanos, Classic and now Touch.  All perform exactly as advertised and are quality units.