iTunes gift cards - good idea/bad idea?

My kids have asked for iTunes gift cards, but I don’t want to buy proprietary format files, I only want to buy MP3s, so I’m looking for more information.  The iTunes store help is incredibly unhelpful until I create a funded account (ie, give them my credit card number, which isn’t going to happen) - so I can’t get any useful information.  In principle, I’m ready to quit right now, but I’ll ask a few questions - you folks have always been very helpful!

Can I download MP3 files from iTunes or can I only convert them to MP3 after I buy the Apple format files?

If you can’t buy MP3s, is it a simple menu item conversion in the iTunes software? 

I’m thinking an Amazon gift card might be a better idea, any other thoughts?

Thanks.

I believe iTunes now sells non-DRM crippled .mp3 files, although it may be for a slightly higher price than their proprietary .aac or .m4a format.

iTunes is THE place for online music according to the younger generation, so while I would recommend Amazon over iTunes, your kids may not be happy with that choice. Peer-pressure and status, you know. :wink:

Thankfully, iTunes moved to DRM-free music a few years back. 

Personally, I don’t like the iTunes software and how Apple tries to control my computer.  When I buy, it tends to be from Amazon–great deals on full albums, without complication.

After delving into wikipedia and an iTunes FAQ page which I can only access via a Google search (the iTunes store still won’t let ask me ask any questions without some method of payment - this totally turns me off), this is what I find:

(June 2010) iTunes Plus is the new standard on iTunes.  iTunes Plus downloads are songs and music videos available in our highest quality 256 kbps AAC audio encoding (twice the audio quality of protected music purchases), and without digital rights management (DRM)  (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1711))

I’m assuming the AAC endoding means a Clip still can’t play it?

While iTunes may be “fad”, I think an Amazon gift card will be a “teaching” gift. Plus they’d be thrilled if they found out at Amazon they could choose between Music or Legos.

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

(June 2010) iTunes Plus is the new standard on iTunes.  iTunes Plus downloads are songs and music videos available in our highest quality 256 kbps AAC audio encoding (twice the audio quality of protected music purchases), and without digital rights management (DRM)  (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1711))

I’m assuming the AAC endoding means a Clip still can’t play it?

You assume correctly. These files would have to be converted to .mp3, reducing the quality yet again on an already ‘lossy’ format, resulting in a less-than-desirable sound quality. I think you’re wise to go the Amazon route, but I also know how kids can be with what they ‘want’. :wink:

Then again, iTunes has quite a bit of content that can’t be had anywhere else.  If you are worried about compatibility, .aac files in the .m4a container play just fine with Fuzes, Clips and Clip+'s that are Rockboxed.  And of course, the Fuze+ has .aac compatibility right out of the box.

There are only a scant few players anymore that won’t play .aac files; so if compatibilty is the main concern and if your kids like the content in iTunes…I certainly wouldn’t shy away from iTunes.

But of course, if the kids have a Fuze, Clip or Clip+ and if they or mom and dad don’t want to have to Rockbox the player, AAC format is not the way to go.

But of course, if the kids have a Fuze, Clip or Clip+ and if they or mom and dad don’t want to have to Rockbox the player, AAC format is not the best way to go, although the tunes can be converted to MP3 format (with a lessening of sound quality).

(Something I’m uncertain about:  when you use iTunes to import your songs in MP3 format, is that what iTunes is doing–converting the songs from AAC format to MP3 format? And then is there no way to buy at iTunes natively in MP3 format?  If that’s the case, I’d definitely go the Amazon way, if you want compatibility with the Clip players without the need of Rockboxing, and if you want the most universal format and best sound quality.) 

@miikerman wrote:

But of course, if the kids have a Fuze, Clip or Clip+ and if they or mom and dad don’t want to have to Rockbox the player, AAC format is not the best way to go, although the tunes can be converted to MP3 format (with a lessening of sound quality).

(Something I’m uncertain about:  when you use iTunes to import your songs in MP3 format, is that what iTunes is doing–converting the songs from AAC format to MP3 format? And then is there no way to buy at iTunes natively in MP3 format?  If that’s the case, I’d definitely go the Amazon way, if you want compatibility with the Clip players without the need of Rockboxing, and if you want the most universal format and best sound quality.) 

Sorry, Can’t agree with any of your points.  .aac is quickly becoming the defacto standard in which media files are produced these days and any player that doesn’t suport the format wouldn’t be my player of choice.  Rockbox is now stable with Clips, Clip+'s and Fuzes, so t here shouldn’t be any hesitation to install it.   So be it.  I’m an iPod fan boy, plain and simple and until something radically changes, iPods are still the players to which all others will be compared to.  Sandisk players are fine, but are no means any match for an iPod.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I’m an iPod fan boy, plain and simple and until something radically changes, iPods are still the players to which all others will be compared to.  Sandisk players are fine, but are no means any match for an iPod.

Wow, when did you go over to the dark side GB? :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew you had gravitated away from SanDisk players, but I thought you were embracing the Cowons now.

@tapeworm wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I’m an iPod fan boy, plain and simple and until something radically changes, iPods are still the players to which all others will be compared to.  Sandisk players are fine, but are no means any match for an iPod.

Wow, when did you go over to the dark side GB? :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew you had gravitated away from SanDisk players, but I thought you were embracing the Cowons now.

Don’t get me wrong.  I still like my Sansa players; in fact, I really really like my fuze+…But in the grand scheme of things, I think I like most of my iPods a bit better.  Cowon’s are completely off my “like” list, as they are one of the few players out there that refuse to add .aac support

I think it’s a case where you use what the others around you use.  Since I mainly hang around musicians, and they (at least in my circle of friends) mainly use iPods, I gradually went that route myself.

Sorry, I just don’t agree–there is no iPod in the form factor of the Clips that offer what they offer,  The Shuffle?  No response needed, apart from the recognition that it does have a hardy and tidy metal design.  And the Nano leaves me cold, apart from what it could have been and a pretty screen.  To compare the Clips to the iPod Classic and Touch is unrealistic, apart from noting that the Clip+ has an expansion slot which the Touch doesn’t (I guess Steve wants people to buy a new player rather than augmenting the memory size).

And as nice as aac may be, mp3 still is the universal standard, by history and being there first if nothing else.

@miikerman wrote:

Sorry, I just don’t agree–there is no iPod in the form factor of the Clips that offer what they offer,  The Shuffle?  No response needed, apart from the recognition that it does have a hardy and tidy metal design.  And the Nano leaves me cold, apart from what it could have been and a pretty screen.  To compare the Clips to the iPod Classic and Touch is unrealistic, apart from noting that the Clip+ has an expansion slot which the Touch doesn’t (I guess Steve wants people to buy a new player rather than augmenting the memory size).

And as nice as aac may be, mp3 still is the universal standard, by history and being there first if nothing else.

Well, expansion slot or not, there is no Sansa with more than 16GB onboard…there are 32 and 64GB Touches, and the Classic is 160GB.  And even the Fuze+ can’t be “augmented” up to 64GB.:stuck_out_tongue:

@miikerman wrote:

I didn’t expect you to agree.  We evidently want and need different things in our players.  While it’s great that Sandisk has cornered the budget market; the players they offer are not perfect choices for everyone, including me.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

While it’s great that Sandisk has cornered the budget market; the players they offer are not perfect choices for everyone, including me.

Absolutely right.  Nor for me, either–the Clips just fill a need for a cute, small, on-the-go player.  I’m still waiting for the companies to come out with what I really need at present, a jukebox flash player (the 64GB Apples aren’t enough for me at this point).  The technology and pricing are there, right now–the companies just need to advance to them and bring the players out.  Perhaps in the coming year?

@miikerman wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

While it’s great that Sandisk has cornered the budget market; the players they offer are not perfect choices for everyone, including me.

Absolutely right.  Nor for me, either–the Clips just fill a need for a cute, small, on-the-go player.  I’m still waiting for the companies to come out with what I really need at present, a jukebox flash player (the 64GB Apples aren’t enough for me at this point).  The technology and pricing are there, right now–the companies just need to advance to them and bring the players out.  Perhaps in the coming year?

Let me guess…you are waiting for a Sansa with a full sized SDXC slot? :smileyvery-happy:

Actually, I see as first up the iPod Touch with 128GB flash memory–the prices have come down and the technology up in the last year so as to support it at present (and then, likely, RIP sweet iPod Classic). 

I see no reason why SanDisk couldn’t have a mega-memory Clip (the “Clip Super +” ?), especially with its foundation as a memory company.  But SanDisk doesn’t seem interested in mega-memory/jukebox players. 

Talk about marketing muscle!  Apple iTunes cards are everywhere, yes?  If only iTunes wasn’t such a Trojan Horse when it comes to your media library.  iTunes is like letting the door-to-door vacuum salesman “spread a little dirt” and demonstrate the new product…

Not that there’s anything really wrong with that, I mean, it will be a long while before he returns to demonstrate the monster cleaner, after my wife and I toyed with him, and virtually scored a complete house detailing.  I like Kirbys, even the venerable Electrolux.  Like iTunes and Apple, they just cost too much for my liking, in price and computer resources in Apple’s case.

Kind of ironic that Apple blames Adobe and Flash Player as the root of all evil, and at the same time, if you aren’t careful with that installation screen, Quicktime and iTunes will absorb you into the Borg.  Or was it Landru?  I can’t help but think of Anthony Zerbe in The Omega Man for some reason, beckoning his followers in the dark…

Remember that the Fuze+ is the only current Sansa that plays unprotected AAC natively.  Otherwise, you need MP3 format for the Clip / Clip+ from iTunes, or with Rockbox, you can indeed play AAC.  Installing Rockbox so you can redeem an iTunes gift card does somehow reminiscent of using tactical nuclear weapons to solve a fruit fly infestation. 

Just remember, if it’s from iTunes, the media format is important when playing on a “non-Apple” device.  In iTunes, there’s a convert to MP3 function.  Uh, simply insert credit card, and twist?  I don’t know if a gift card redeemed track has no DRM, but I would hope so, in any case.

But, if the recipient of that gift card is into something completely different, perhaps Rockbox can be part of the adventure.  DO read up on that before taking the plunge, however.  Removing Rockbox or iTunes has its own risks.  We’ll have to consult Doctor Neville for his vaccine, perhaps?  I love those old movies.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@miikerman wrote:

Actually, I see as first up the iPod Touch with 128GB flash memory–the prices have come down and the technology up in the last year so as to support it at present (and then, likely, RIP sweet iPod Classic). 

I see no reason why SanDisk couldn’t have a mega-memory Clip (the “Clip Super +” ?), especially with its foundation as a memory company.  But SanDisk doesn’t seem interested in mega-memory/jukebox players. 

A 128GB Touch would probably be $450-$500, don’t you think? The 64GB is $369 at Walmart.com, $362 is the lowest Amazon price currently.

I don’t think SanDisk is interested in jukebox players either, for the simple reason that it falls outside their “budget player” niche that they’ve carved out.

I think that a 128GB jukebox flash player easily could be brought out at $300-$400 at this point, if not less, the way flash memory prices have lowered (and given the buying/manufacturing clout of a SanDisk or Apple).  And hey, if you can buy a SanDisk 16GB microSD card for $23 (Amazon pricing just now), string 8 of them together in a 4GB Clip+ ($30-$40), and you have a 132GB player for less than $225. 

Imagine the stir that SanDisk would create coming out with that.