It's lost it's mind! (No internal songs)

My cord is jenk, so a month ago I called in an RMA, not even an email so far. Was told to expect a 6 month wait for a new cable. WTF? Very satisfied with the machine, but very pissed off at both the cord and customer service. Six months is a very long time to wait. 

I can just go up to Best Buy and get a twenty dollar cable, but will SanDisk reimburse me for that? Probably not. I even had to goto best buy to see if one of their cables worked… rode my bike there… WITH SANDISK ON THE FREAKING PHONE, across TWO busy intersections… my god! Their cables work just fine. Mine sux0r.

Rant time is over… Now I got big issues. Because my cord sucks, and I have to perform special rituals (put it in slowly, set different modes, wiggle it around, sacrifice a sheep, cut my ankle and let the blood drip on the connector, things of that nature 0.0) to get it to even charge now.  

So to get a new song over to this thing I have to take my SDHC card, take it out of the machine, put it into an adapter, plug that into a computer in my house that has a reader, get the song illegally (napster wants a Sansa, not a card), put it on there, put it back in the player, and wait for it to reload.

I did that. Everything is fine. NOT. I see a white screen, can’t get rid of it. Reset it, saw the white screen which was changing colors a little bit, darker, lighter… now ten seconds later I’m inventing new profanities because I actually bought this machine, not my parents. Everything I buy turns to s**t…

So twenty or so seconds later, it comes back, I have officially crapped myself, and I play the song. Beautiful.

Next day on the bus, I want to listen to George Carlin. Not there. I want to listen to Coldplay. Not there. Acting on a hunch, I remove the SD card, then look at the artist list.

E M P T Y.

My Sansa has forgotten every song in it’s internal memory. It still has every recording I have ever made, and no part of the firmware is courrupt, so the songs are most likley still there.

YES!!! I removed and reinserted (lol dirty) the card to force it to refresh. The songs still don’t appear!

My videos, recordings, settings, and pictures are untouched. My songs, Top Rated Songs, GoList, are now empty. The songs on the SD card are still available.

FORMATTING IS NOT AN OPTION! 

YES! I have tried MULTIPLE MACHINES!!! DESKTOP AND LAPTOP! YES!!! I tried the back ports! YES!!! We have confirmed that other cords work just fine! YES!!! I tried machines with different operating systems! WIN98, WIN2K, WINXP, WINVISTA, WIN7, MACX, LINUX! YES!!! I have no good way to attach this thing to a computer!!! PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO TRY ANY OF THE KNOWLEDGEBASE TIPS AND TRICKS: I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL! ALL I AM LOOKING FOR IS A WAY TO MAKE THE DEVICE REMEMBER IT’S INTERNAL SONGS!!!

Right now, I’m on the “Connected” screen. It’s a start, but Windows won’t have any of it. Code 43… device malfunction. 

Hey Vistro,

So when you connect the fuze to your computer, does the computer recognize it?

If so, see if you can see what songs are on the fuze via the computer.

NONE of the computers I use play nice with my Fuze. The Fuze, after wiggling and bleeding on the cable, will see the computer, but the computer says “Unrecognizable Device. **bleep** if I’ll try again.”… something like that. 

The cord is faulty, and I don’t have any money to waste on a new one, I’m trying to save up for a new NVIDIA CUDA Card for SETI.

My priorities are **bleep**ed… I know, but nobody should have to wait 6 months for factory Warranty replacement parts! 

Compy doesn’t see the Fuze, and the Fuze is sitting here like my dog… clueless about what’s going on outside of it’s own head.

Take a deep breath, go drink some(whatever your favorite drink is)  ;), and try all the steps found here.

I don’t think you will be able to fix this problem on the fuze, you need the computer. 

So try everything in the link.  :slight_smile:

You can probably wait for SanDisk to replace the cord. Or you can go to Amazon or Ebay and get a non-OEM cord for the Fuze (or E200, same connector) for about $5. Search for fuze data sync cord.

I know what I’d do.

And then, since you have been messing around, you’ll probably have to format (erasing everything) and reload.  Which could have been avoided if you’d just replaced the cord when you knew it was bad. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-19-2009 11:14 PM

Can I remove the songs with Winblows Explorer and put them on a folder in my HDD, format, then put them back? I really don’t want to have napster do it… it’s slow.

Will a Griffen Technologies cord work? I’m eyeing that one. 

Get a cord made for the Fuze or E200. Make sure it’s not an iPod cord. I have two different no-name cords that both work fine, but they have to be for the Fuze.  Griffin should be fine if it’s for the Sansa.

Did you buy the songs through Napster? They may have DRM (digital rights misery) information that has to be transferred through Napster.

If they are mp3s, you can move them through Windows Explorer.

If they are .wma files, right-click on one, look at Properties/Summary/Advanced and look at Origin. Protected? You’re stuck with Napster. 

Buy plain old mp3s from Amazon or Emusic and avoid the problem. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 09-20-2009 09:54 AM

I got the new cable, but I am having similar problems. The only difference is that it will connect, but only if I really fight at it. For some reason, the connector is rusted. 

I’m calling SanDisk in the morning. I’m going to offload the songs (Napster, so I’ll just have to update licenses on the new device THEN transfer the music), get a replacement… and hopefully this will never happen again.

I’ll also not make the mistake of not getting a cover.

But for now, where do I get the firmware upgrades? 

@vistro wrote:

In the aptly named Sansa Fuze Firmware Update post.

@vistro wrote:

In the aptly named Sansa Fuze Firmware Update post.

@vistro wrote:

In the aptley named Sansa Fuse Firmware Update post.

Where else? :smileyvery-happy:

Ya saw that afterward.

Is the support line open on Sundays?

How long should I expect to wait for the new player to come?

Can you guys recommend a good case/cover for my Fuze?

What ever happened to Wanda???

(Soap Opera joke…) 

@vistro wrote:

Ya saw that afterward.

All 'ya gotta do is look.

Is the support line open on Sundays?

No.

How long should I expect to wait for the new player to come?

Real time? 2 - 4 weeks.

Can you guys recommend a good case/cover for my Fuze?

Plenty of discussions on this already here. Do a search.

What ever happened to Wanda???

(Soap Opera joke…) 

Got me.