it froze, cannot unbrick, and got really hot

hi,

I was listening to some audiobook, when it stopped, could not start it up again. Got home and could not unbrick with usual method with the usb cable, and i noticed sansa is really hot!!!

what can i do?

I have the 2gb one with the firmware previous to one posted yesteraday I think

thanks a lot

@jtxe wrote:

hi,

I was listening to some audiobook, when it stopped, could not start it up again. Got home and could not unbrick with usual method with the USB cable, and I noticed sansa is really hot!!!

what can I do?

thanks a lot

If its heating up due to a defect there is no magic to recover it, but a few things I would try include:

Letting it cool off.   

Inspect it. 

make sure if it got wet to dry it 100% including time for the inside of the case to dry completely (stick it in a bag of rice for several days)

Inspect your cables and connectors for the USB  connections and charger connections.  Look for damage shorts etc, anything that looks abnormal.

Now the dangerous part…    If the device is drawing so much current it actually gets hot during a charge, it could put strain on things like your computers power supply, or AC adapter.     So  If you try to charge it you do so at your own risk.    If it were mine I would try to charge it but keep an eye on it and check its temperature to see how its charging,    It shouldn’t get that warm.   Definitely shouldn’t get hot.

Check the display to see if it comes on during the charge.   (a display would  be a good sign that the CPU is still operational)

Charge it awhile if things are going well,    Disconnect.        Try performing a soft reset   holding the on-switch in the up most on position for 20 seconds.   then release and turn on as normal.   Test it.

If it does get hot during charge, disconnect.  If it’s within your one year warranty contact Sansa to get it repaired/exchanged.   If not under warranty find a safe way to recycle it as it does have a battery in it.  and go buy a new one.

Good luck,

thanks niko_sama but this was not the case, it stopped suddenly while playing, and I could not get it to start anymore, pluging into the pc did not start charging or anything.

As it was so hot…I put it on the freezer for one hour, then it was cold, tried to unbrick with usual method and…it worked!!! cool

@jtxe wrote:

thanks niko_sama but this was not the case, it stopped suddenly while playing, and I could not get it to start anymore, pluging into the pc did not start charging or anything.

As it was so hot…I put it on the freezer for one hour, then it was cold, tried to unbrick with usual method and…it worked!!! cool

LOL,  what is the usual method of unbricking (the freezer?)  or something more?     Good job on getting it working.   The Sansa Clip has a really tight design, and it is amazingly durable.

@niko_sama wrote:

@jtxe wrote:

LOL,  what is the usual method of unbricking (the freezer?)  or something more?     Good job on getting it working.   The Sansa Clip has a really tight design, and it is amazingly durable.

It’s durable but I keep hearing complaints about it dropping and not working, screen cracks, etc.?

@d_headshot wrote:

@niko_sama wrote:

It’s durable but I keep hearing complaints about it dropping and not working, screen cracks, etc.?

I’ve dropped mine probably close to 10 times, and it used to go into my backpack several days a week with no case or screen protector, and it still works fine. The clear material on the front of the Clip must be different from the Fuze’s screen, because I’ve never had a protector on it and there are zero scratches. As far as people dropping theirs, maybe the battery was double-soldered in mine? lol :smiley:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 02-21-2009 09:33 PM

@d_headshot wrote:

Maybe I missed all those complaints.   I usually read this forum pretty well.    I use my Clip daily,   I don’t abuse it.   But one thing that happens often is the clip will get knocked out off my clothes.    When it does it hangs on the Earphones, and then I notice it hanging and I re-CLIP it to my shirt.   Even if it did hit the ground its made solid.   I doubt the crack that easy.    But If you have your earphones on when it lets loose, its not going to touch the ground anyways.   

Maybe I’m just lucky :wink:

@d_headshot wrote:

Maybe I missed the complaints that you hear.   I read this forum pretty well and don’t think I have seen it to be an issue.    What I do know is after owning the clip for about 1.5 years is its very solid.   I use my Clip daily,   I don’t abuse it.   One thing that happens occasionally is the CLIP will get knocked out off my clothes.    When it does it hangs by the Earphones, and then I notice it hanging there and I re-CLIP it to my shirt.   It’s like a safety tether.  LOL

Maybe I’m just lucky :wink:

Moved similar message to e200 Series Forum

@jtxe wrote:

hi,

I was listening to some audiobook, when it stopped, could not start it up again. Got home and could not unbrick with usual method with the usb cable, and i noticed sansa is really hot!!!

what can i do?

thanks a lot

I don’t know a lot about these mp3 players, but I am learning fast!  I had a problem with mine freezing and the battery warming up and not being able to come back on - well until the battery cooled and was totally discharged then I could connect it to the computer and it would come back on.   I found that the problem was how I was charging the battery - I found this on my own.  I have an e280v2 and it doesn’t like the wall charger.  Once I started charging the battery again with my computer using the USB cable, the unit has not done this since.   I hope that this helps - it can be frustrating.

hey im facing the same prob?cud u plz tel me wht u did to bring ur clip alive,plz help