Is the BLACK 8Gb Fuze a V2 only?

I’ll bet you a cookie it’s a v2.  Grab that wee beastie before it’s gone!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I thought the original 8Gb Fuze was Silver…  I know there is a black one now but that came MUCH later than the silver one.  That’s why I want to know.

What you “know” is wrong. There was a v1 8GB Fuze right from the start.

@neutron_bob wrote:

I’ll bet you a cookie it’s a v2.  Grab that wee beastie before it’s gone!

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

That’s my thought.  The Fuze+ is a waste of air (laggy and half baked interface, no folder support, half-assed gapless) so whaddya do?  Buy a Fuze V2 and Rockbox it (I want a V2 for the better Rockbox battery life - I have three V1s).

@roj wrote:

 


@neutron_bob wrote:

I’ll bet you a cookie it’s a v2.  Grab that wee beastie before it’s gone!

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:


That’s my thought.  The Fuze+ is a waste of air (laggy and half baked interface, no folder support, half-assed gapless) so whaddya do?  Buy a Fuze V2 and Rockbox it (I want a V2 for the better Rockbox battery life - I have three V1s).

 

I sold my V1, and the V2 is working great. If I hadn’t been hard up for cash, I would have kept it, but it was only getting about a half hour more battery life than my Clip+'s.

@roj wrote:

I know there is a black one now but that came MUCH later than the silver one.  That’s why I want to know.

If you already know the answer, why are you asking us ? 

@marvin_martian wrote:

 


@roj wrote:

 


@neutron_bob wrote:

I’ll bet you a cookie it’s a v2.  Grab that wee beastie before it’s gone!

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:


That’s my thought.  The Fuze+ is a waste of air (laggy and half baked interface, no folder support, half-assed gapless) so whaddya do?  Buy a Fuze V2 and Rockbox it (I want a V2 for the better Rockbox battery life - I have three V1s).

 


I sold my V1, and the V2 is working great. If I hadn’t been hard up for cash, I would have kept it, but it was only getting about a half hour more battery life than my Clip+'s.

 

Laggy and half-baked interface?  Interface and operation on my fuze+ is just as speedy as on my fuzes…

Do you have a fuze+ and is that your experience (laggy and half baked interface)?  Just curious.  Seems there are a lot of negative comments directed towards the fuze+ by people that may not have even played with one.  I own both fuzes and a fuze+…and the fuze+ compares very nicely to the fuzes in operation.

I’m not trying to stir trouble.  Just seriously curious.  I’m as picky as the next person when it comes to media players, and I was pleasantly surprised by the fuze+.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

 


@marvin_martian wrote:

 


@roj wrote:

 


@neutron_bob wrote:

I’ll bet you a cookie it’s a v2.  Grab that wee beastie before it’s gone!

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:


That’s my thought.  The Fuze+ is a waste of air (laggy and half baked interface, no folder support, half-assed gapless) so whaddya do?  Buy a Fuze V2 and Rockbox it (I want a V2 for the better Rockbox battery life - I have three V1s).

 


I sold my V1, and the V2 is working great. If I hadn’t been hard up for cash, I would have kept it, but it was only getting about a half hour more battery life than my Clip+'s.

 


Laggy and half-baked interface?  Interface and operation on my fuze+ is just as speedy as on my fuzes…

 

 

Do you have a fuze+ and is that your experience (laggy and half baked interface)?  Just curious.  Seems there is a lot of negative comments directed towards the fuze+ by people that may not have even played with one.  I own both fuzes and a fuze+…and the fuze+ compares very nicely to the fuzes in operation.

 

I’m not trying to stir trouble.  Just seriously curious.  I’m as picky as the next person when it comes to media players, and I was pleasantly surprised by the fuze+.

Borrowed a friend’s to try it out before I put my money down.  Wasn’t impressed.  Seems the firmware needs to cook more - a LOT more.  Not an unrheard of situation with Sandisk.  Didn’t like having to swipe repeatedly and definitely didn’t like the lack of folder support, especially since the Fuze (and my Cowons) has it.  From where I’m sitting, the hardware is decent but the firmware team dropped the ball.

@saratoga wrote:

 


@roj wrote:

I know there is a black one now but that came MUCH later than the silver one.  That’s why I want to know.


 

If you already know the answer, why are you asking us ? 

 

Why?  Just in case I was wrong.  I remember reading when the original 8Gb model came out on AnythingButIPod and it was silver.  Then it debuted in Canada a month and a half later and guess what - it was Silver.  And every black Fuze I saw for the subsequent year was - you guessed it - 4Gb.  So you’ll excuse me if I wonder about the whole black 8Gb v1 thing.

Capisce?

The 8GB debuted, I believe, In Germany as a silver model.  I remember the rollout too, as I was anxious for the 8GB model as well, having been used to the e280’s capacity.

GB is right, the new interface is reasonably fast, and when loading a new file, it’s playing before my hand lifts from the touchpad.  There will be future refinements to the Fuze+, I am sure.

roj , unless the Fuze is in a grizzled old box, I’d feel safe that it will be a v2 these days. 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The 8GB debuted, I believe, In Germany as a silver model.  I remember the rollout too, as I was anxious for the 8GB model as well, having been used to the e280’s capacity.

 

GB is right, the new interface is reasonably fast, and when loading a new file, it’s playing before my hand lifts from the touchpad.  There will be future refinements to the Fuze+, I am sure.

 

roj , unless the Fuze is in a grizzled old box, I’d feel safe that it will be a v2 these days. 

 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Grazie!  I’m good now. :slight_smile:

roj wrote:

 

(edit)  I want a V2 for the longer RockBox battery life (from what I’ve read the 8Gb silver V1 only gives 14 hours instead of 22).

 

Yeah, it does, but that’s at 320 kbps.   For 128 kbps songs, I can get about 18 hours of battery life.   And if need be, when my battery gets a little low, I can boot into the OF and get more hours.

Well, I encode at alt preset extreme which, while it isn’t 320 is definitely in the 256 plus range.  I can’t stand anything lower than alt preset standard.

@mags1230 wrote:


@roj wrote:

 

(edit)  I want a V2 for the longer RockBox battery life (from what I’ve read the 8Gb silver V1 only gives 14 hours instead of 22).

 


Yeah, it does, but that’s at 320 kbps.   For 128 kbps songs, I can get about 18 hours of battery life.   And if need be, when my battery gets a little low, I can boot into the OF and get more hours.

I just bought back my V1 tonight…apparently RB was a little too complex for someone who had previously had an iPod.

It was fully charged, and the estimated life listed in the System screen was 14 hours 51 minutes. And for what it’s worth,both my V1 and my V2, both 8GB models, are the silver color.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

 

 

It was fully charged, and the estimated life listed in the System screen was 14 hours 51 minutes. And for what it’s worth,both my V1 and my V2, both 8GB models, are the silver color.:wink:

It took me a bit of searching the menus to find that bit of info.  lol 

 I rockboxed my fuze a few days ago, so I’ve just got some of the basics down in learning how use it.  Installation was easy with the automatic install.  And learning how to use the basic functions of playing and browsing was quick.  Didn’t even have to really study the manual for that.  :smiley:

The battery life I posted came from running a few tests.  Just picking one song with a bit rate of 320 kbps and then 128 kbps and setting it on repeat for several hours, then checking the battery percentage.  I then compared the battery life after doing the same test for 128 kbps in the original firmware and the battery percentage was higher by 10%.

The next thing to do on my list is attempting to install a couple of games, like Bubbles and Jewels…

I wouldn’t trust the runtime estimation.  I’m not sure how well it works on the Fuze since we keep optimizing it.  

Edit:  I got 14:20 with SVN rockbox, and 16:20 with some newer code that hasn’t gotten into SVN yet on my seldem used Fuze V1.  

@mags1230 wrote:



 

The next thing to do on my list is attempting to install a couple of games, like Bubbles and Jewels…

 

I haven’t even looked at any of that stuff…I just listen to mine.:smiley:

@saratoga wrote:

I wouldn’t trust the runtime estimation.  I’m not sure how well it works on the Fuze since we keep optimizing it.  

 

Edit:  I got 14:20 with SVN rockbox, and 16:20 with some newer code that hasn’t gotten into SVN yet on mIy seldem used Fuze V1.  

I’m not terribly concerned with how accurate the runtime estimation  is, as I usually only use the Fuzes when I am home, and therefore near AC power.

I think a couple months back I was getting about 14.5 hours with the V1, and 14 hours 10 minutes  with my Clip+…of course, that was many builds ago, and I can’t find where I posted those numbers to be sure.

I’m going to try using the V1 at work next week, and see how it compares to my Clip+ battery life there.

The Clip+ is better then the Fuze V1 in rockbox right now.  Partly because the Clip+ uses a newer processor thats a lot more efficient, and partly because we can’t figure out where some of the power on the Fuze V1 is actually going so its a bit lower then it should be.  I think I got something like 17 hours on the clip+.

@saratoga wrote:

The Clip+ is better then the Fuze V1 in rockbox right now.  Partly because the Clip+ uses a newer processor thats a lot more efficient, and partly because we can’t figure out where some of the power on the Fuze V1 is actually going so its a bit lower then it should be.  I think I got something like 17 hours on the clip+.

But then there’s that damnable hum…