Is it really necessary to have a separate Clip+ forum (which has been started by SanDisk)?

Especially given that the players are more alike than different?

Just more places to look for, and duplicate, info., it seems to me …?

I think so, it may have the same style but it may have totally differnet features like E200 and E200 Rhapsody.

@miikerman wrote:

Especially given that the players are more alike than different?

Just more places to look for, and duplicate, info., it seems to me …?

Yes, I think so.

If the firmwares are significantly different, I’d say yes.  The fact that the Clip+ has a microSDHC card slot and folder support will lead to a whole host of questions which won’t apply to the Clip.

It just seemed to me that there is more alike than similar.  And now people will be asking the question, “Where did my files go?” (MSC vs. MTP) in multiple places …

@miikerman wrote:
It just seemed to me that there is more alike than similar.  And now people will be asking the question, “Where did my files go?” (MSC vs. MTP) in multiple places …

Haw! Haw! Haw!

That just what this forum needs . . . more opportunities for newbies to mis-post and ask the same 'ol questions! :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

Miikerman wrote:G
It just seemed to me that there is more alike than similar.  And now people will be asking the question, “Where did my files go?” (MSC vs… MTP) in multiple places …

Haw! Haw! Haw!

That just what this forum needs . . . more opportunities for newbies to mis-post and ask the same 'ol questions! :smileyvery-happy:

Good example,

In the case of MSC vs… MTP, the Clip Plus has folder viewing which allows you to access music loaded in either MSC or MTP modes.

So the response to the question depends on which clip you have.

Until/unless Sansa update the firmware on the original clip to mach the new Clip Plus, there will be many differences between the two, and so the separate forum makes sense.

Clip Plus owners should search the Clip forum for possible answers, and where appropriate migrate the info to the Clip Plus forum or link to it. Maybe a sticky on the Clip+ forum, to that effect.

Speaking from personal experience, when I first started going on the web and browsing forums, it didn’t occur to me that there was a search engine built into the forums, but the reply button was all to obvious.

One way to encourage newbies to use the forum search engine before posting a question, is to require everyone to enter the forum through the search engine.

And/or require use of forum search engine before being able to post to the forum or start a new thread.

After your first search, you access the rest of the forum as usual until you log out.:wink:

Happy Trails…

Wavy

@wavydavy wrote:

Good example,

In the case of MSC vs… MTP, the Clip Plus has folder viewing which allows you to access music loaded in either MSC or MTP modes.

No, I don’t think you understand. The Clip (and all Sansa players for that matter) will see & play all music on the player and/or memory card (if applicable) seamlessly, regardless of what USB mode was used to transfer the music to said player and/or card.

The problem comes in when connecting to the computer. (Oh Gawd, here I go explaining it again! ) Files transferred in 1 mode are not visible or accessible when the player is connected in the other. Meaning you can’t see them on your computer. This gets really hairy when you use the Auto Defect setting on the player and maybe rip a few CD’s at home and then download some tunes at work (you are supposed to be working you know; not surfing the web or D/L music on company time :stuck_out_tongue: ). But maybe due to circumstances beyond your control, the player connects in the opposite mode at work than on your computer at home. No matter where you are, you can only see, manage, move or otherwise manipulate half your library on the player because the Auto setting connected in different modes on the different computers. That’s why it’s important to know about the differences between the 2 modes, pick one based on your usage habits and manually select it on your player.

So having folder view or navigation on the player does absolutely nothing to solve this dilemma. It just helps those to are too lazy to manage and/or correct their ID3 tags.

@wavydavy wrote:

Good example,

No, I don’t think you understand. The Clip (and all Sansa players for that matter) will see & play all music on the player and/or memory card (if applicable) seamlessly, regardless of what USB mode was used to transfer the music to said player and/or card.

The problem comes in when connecting to the computer. (Oh Gawd, here I go explaining it again! ) Files transferred in 1 mode are not visible or accessible when the player is connected in the other. Meaning you can’t see them on your computer. This gets really hairy when you use the Auto Defect setting on the player and maybe rip a few CD’s at home and then download some tunes at work (you are supposed to be working you know; not surfing the web or D/L music on company time  :stuck_out_tongue: ). But maybe due to circumstances beyond your control, the player connects in the opposite mode at work than on your computer at home. No matter where you are, you can only see, manage, move or otherwise manipulate half your library on the player because the Auto setting connected in different modes on the different computers. That’s why it’s important to know about the differences between the 2 modes, pick one based on your usage habits and manually select it on your player.

So having folder view or navigation on the player does absolutely nothing to solve this dilemma. It just helps those to are too lazy to manage and/or correct their ID3 tags.