Is it normal to get " Refreshing..." after copying files OUT?

So I hook up to PC, copy a file out to another source, and then disconnect.

Is it normal to get the refresh message in this instance even though no files have actually changed?

Yes, because the database has to be refreshed.

The Fuze database has to be refreshed if you COPY a file out to (for instance) a hard drive?

@blackdog_sansa wrote:
The Fuze database has to be refreshed if you COPY a file out to (for instance) a hard drive?

It does if the file is no longer on the fuze. If you simply copy it and paste it off, it shuldnt have to refresh. There is a bit of a bug with MSC mode where it refreshes everythime you connect.

Right.  Copy: where the original file stays on the fuze.

Then, upon disconnect, I get Refresh wait every time.

Bug?

I do aswell, i always assumed this was normal.

Each time the Fuze get accessed by my computers (1 PC, 2 laptops) running Windows it will refresh on disconnect.

When I hook the Fuze up to my Linux machine just to charge it, there is no refreshing on disconnect. My assumption is that  because Linux does not mount the Fuze or access the contents, it does not need refreshing.

I think there is little you can do about it.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 04-01-2009 10:26 AM

That’s not the case for me.  (I think this was addressed in the last upgrade). I use my Fuze in MSC mode, and it only refreshes if I transfer a file on or off the Fuze. Unfortunately it seems that the firmware thinks that copying a file from Fuze to PC is a change, and it refreshes. (I’d calll that a bug). If I just connect to my XP computer to charge, it doesn’t refresh.

@7o9 wrote:

Each time the Fuze get accessed by my computers (1 PC, 2 laptops) running Windows it will refresh on disconnect.

When I hook the Fuze up to my Linux machine just to charge it, there is no refreshing on disconnect. My assumption is that  because Linux does not mount the Fuze or access the contents, it does not need refreshing.

I think there is little you can do about it.

Message Edited by 7o9 on 04-01-2009 10:26 AM

I’ve always had the problem with refreshing anytime I connect the Fuze to my computer (MSC mode).  Even if I don’t do anything, just connect it and then disconnect, it will refresh the DB.  Does it both on my home PC and work PC.  Never figured out why…

The Fuze sees the file access whenever connected in MSC mode, triggering a database refresh.  In MTP mode, you can plug in 'til the cows come home, without a refresh unless a file is transferred.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The Fuze sees the file access whenever connected in MSC mode, triggering a database refresh.  In MTP mode, you can plug in 'til the cows come home, without a refresh unless a file is transferred.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I just connected, then safely dis-connected, my Fuze 5 times in a row and it did not refresh at all :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point! I’ve noticed that if I shut down the PC with the Fuze connected it does a refresh. Be sure you use the “safely disconnect” function in windows to clean up the connection before you unplug. Not using it could cause your Fuze to refresh.

MSC

No moving or copying of files:  No refresh after disconnect

Copy a file out:  Get the refresh.

OK, here’s the kicker:

“SAFELY DISCONNECT”, then NO refresh!

Well at least I know how to avoid it now.

Thanks folks.

I’ve always used MSC with “safely disconnect” and still always had the refresh whether there was write activity or not.  Of course, I haven’t specifically tested it for a quite a while.  I’ll try to give it a shot in the next few days and post results.

I suspect it might have something to do with the caching policy as well, but never verified it.

Yeah, I always thought it was the cach too. I don’t mind the refresh though. I have my fuze set to shut off after five minutes anyway, so if I forget to manually turn it off, it burns through five minutes of battery nothings and shuts off.

And the most recent update:

On my home machine, after Safely Disconnect, no refresh (Win XP)

On my business machine, also WinXP, after Safely Disconnect, get the refresh.

Go figure.