Ipod vs. Sansa - what are differences?

I really don’t know much about their differences. Are they using same format mp3 or not? Are they compatibile with each other and what is the difference?

Sansa players and ipods will both play mp3 files. The default for itunes is AAC though, which Sansa players can’t play. Sansa players also play wma, OGG, and FLAC formats which the ipods can’t play. The Sansa Fuze has FM radio, a voice recorder, and and a memory card slot, none of which the ipods have. Many also feel that the Fuze has better sound quality than the Nano. A 16 gig ipod Nano sells for around $200 in the US, while if someone in the US shops carefully, they can buy an 8 gig Fuze plus an 8 gig micro SDHC card for just over $100. The Fuze is compatible with subscription music services such as Rhapsody, while the ipods won’t work with it. Ipods will work with protected AAC downloads from the the Apple store, while other brands of mp3 players won’t play them. Apple players won’t play protected WMA files, which just about all the online music services except Apple use. So for around half the price, one can have a Fuze with more features than the Nano, and which many feel has better sound quality than the Nano.

The Sansa Clip 4 gig is only around $50 in the US if one shops carefully, while an ipod Shuffle one gig player is almost the same price. The Clip has a display, FM radio, and voice recorder which the Shuffle lacks. Many feel the Clip has much better sound quality than the Shuffle. I don’t understand why someone would buy an ipod Nano or Shuffle, except perhaps if they don’t know about Sandisk Sansa players.

@jk98 wrote:
The Sansa Clip 4 gig is only around $50 in the US if one shops carefully, while an ipod Shuffle one gig player is almost the same price. The Clip has a display, FM radio, and voice recorder which the Shuffle lacks. Many feel the Clip has much better sound quality than the Shuffle. I don’t understand why someone would buy an ipod Nano or Shuffle, except perhaps if they don’t know about Sandisk Sansa players.

They buy them because Itunes is ■■■■■ proof and Ipods are “cooler”.

I don’t desire to be cool. I want to buy smart and to spend as less as I can for the quality product. Thank you guys for this information. I was hesitant towards Ipod as I don’t like monopoly. I want to be free to use whatever software/product I want to with no restriction.

You’ve come to the right place, if you are tired of restrictions.  The Sansa Clip works with just about any platform out there, anything with a USB port, essentially.

You’ll find that the wee Clip is an incredible sounding device, and it has incredible battery life, especialy in light of its size.

If you want to see what the device is really capable, load a FLAC file and have a listen.  FLAC (lossless) files are large, but the increased data stream lets the Clip really show off its sound.

Trust me, you’ll really enjoy this little thing, and at the price, you can have a whole collection of them, or invest in a whole boatload of new music, before you match the cash outlay for one of those other machines.

Bob :smileyvery-happy: