Windows: XP Media Center Edition 2002
Service Pack 2
Media Player: 11.0.5721.5230
Sansa clip version: V01.01.18A
I got the clip in December. It worked great. My computer crashed in early March, and last week I plugged the clip in for the first time since the crash. The noise that Windows makes to acknowledge that a USB device was connected, played. The device didn’t show up anywhere. I tried to download the driver, I thought I downloaded it properly but I guess I didn’t because it didn’t work. It wouldn’t even charge. I figured that since it had been a while since I used it, and it had been sitting in the bottom of my purse getting abused, that I had broken it. Oh well, I bought another one. While I waited for the delivery of that one, every time I booted my computer a message came up before Windows loaded that said something to the effect of “CMOS error…something something…device had a battery malfunction.”
The new one came today without any installation software. I plugged it in, and noise played and the bubble saying “USB device detected - Sandisk mp3 player” or whatever it says showed up. I was elated! Two minutes later, another bubble popped up saying that the there had been a problem installing the device and that it wouldn’t work properly. I did a search for Sansa support and found the MTP Porting Kit info. I downloaded and installed it, rebooted, and the CMOS error went away. I was getting excited!
I plugged in the new one again. The sound played, but it didn’t show up anywhere - the My Computer window, the WMP screen, and the little green “safely remove device” arrow didn’t even show up. So I got the firmware updater. Moved the file to the root folder. Plugged it back in. Waited 20 minutes, nothing was happening (besides the player’s screen saying it was connected) so I turned off the player and unplugged it. Plugged it back in. Nothing. Did this four or five more times, trying it on the old one, too. (I am now in hour three of trying to fix this.) Finally the little green arrow started showing up but when I went to safely remove the device, the window didn’t show any devices to remove. The device didn’t show up on the My Computer screen or in WMP.
I am now incredibly frustrated, out $85, and in mp3 withdrawal. The first one won’t even turn on any more because the battery’s dead and it won’t charge. The new one came pre-loaded with five songs that are awful. I now have a little $50 radio but that’s it - no mp3 player. Please let me know how to resolve this issue. If I can’t get it to work by Monday morning, it’s going back.