Incorrect Number Of Files?

I copied 333 songs to my Sansa Clip, but the display says 337. Does that number include the files on the root of the player(firmware, etc)?

There were 4 songs on my player when I purchased it (gifts from Sansa …).  Could that be your 4 other songs?

There were no other songs that I could see, when I viewed the directory on my computer. The only other files I saw were on the root of the player. Should I reformat it & transfer my music back?

It could be that your player is in MSC mode:  the computer only shows songs transferred over in MSC mode when your player is in MSC mode, and songs transferred over in MTP mode when in MTP mode.  But they all still show on the player.  The 4 original songs, at least on my player, only originally showed on my computer when in MTP mode.  I don’t think you need to reformat.

Anyone know what the original four songs were?  I deleted them from my Clip a long time ago.

Try a search here–they were listed within the past week or so.

Miikerman,

No, my player is not in MSC mode since I have not upgraded the firmware. I use a Linux OS, so in order to upgrade the firmware, I would have to borrow my mother’s winxp computer to delete the 4 preloaded songs.

On a different note… is the player supposed to charge EVERY time I plug it into my computer?

Message Edited by Sasafrass452 on 01-07-2008 09:38 AM

Sasafrass452 wrote:

Miikerman,

No, my player is not in MSC mode since I have not upgraded the firmware. I use a Linux OS, so in order to upgrade the firmware, I would have to borrow my mother’s winxp computer to delete the 4 preloaded songs.

You can delete the songs by using the Clip’s Settings->Format function.

Also you don’t need the latest firmware in order to put the Clip into MSC mode.  Slide the power/hold switch to hold, press down the center button while plugging the Clip into your USB port.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-07-2008 09:49 AM

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 01-07-2008 09:49 AM

Thanx for the tip… I’d rather not have to transfer all of my songs back onto the player again, just to remove those 4 songs.

Actually, I think it likely that you are in MSC mode, automatically:  the Clip needs XP SP2 and Windows Media Player 10 and above for MTP mode.  (But I’m not on Linux and so I may be missing a Linux MTP mode ability.)  And that would be why you can’t see the 4 songs when on your computer.

You can just leave the four songs there, or delete them using your Clip.  Note that if you format your player as stated above, you will be deleting ALL your music (unless I’m missing something).  Instead, to delete just 1 song, play it, then press the down button on the wheel to get to Music Options, and then scroll down the list and choose delete.  (Or use a “qualified” computer to hook up your Clip in MTP mode and then delete the songs with the computer.)

Here are the 4 songs, I believe.  And I think it likely that they appear on your Clip when you check your song list.

1. Cobbelstoned Waltz

2. Return Of The Champion

3. Angel

4. Babylon of the Orient

And yes, the Clip charges every time you hook up to your computer.  If you were adventurous and this really bothers you, I think you could get or make a USB cable without the charging circuitry in it. 

Message Edited by Miikerman on 01-07-2008 07:28 AM

And yes, the Clip starts charging when you plug it in to your computer.

Thanx Miikerman, I’ve already removed the 4 songs. I’m well aware that formatting the player removes all of my music, so I certainly won’t do that unless I really want to. Come to think of it, you’re right… the player automatically uses MSC mode when I plug it into my Linux computer. Luckily for me, I can access it as I would any folder on my hard drive, to copy & paste my music to it whenever I want. I would think that’s easier than using windows media player, but maybe that’s just me… Thanx again, you’ve been very helpful :slight_smile:

Message Edited by Sasafrass452 on 01-07-2008 12:06 PM