Improve your product marketing and public specs, SanDisk--you're hurting your sales!

From the Amazon.com webpage for the 4gb Clip:

• Minimum System Requirements: Windows XP SP2 or Vista Operating System, Windows Media Player 10, CD-ROM drive, high-speed USB 2.0 port required for high-speed transfer

Now, we all know that the Clip will operate on both Macs and with Linux as a separate drive, without Windows and WMP; and likewise on Windows, in earlier versions.  In fact, that’s one great thing about this player–its universality and ease of use.  Shouldn’t SanDisk be playing this up rather than losing these customer bases?

it is advertised as a plays for sure (MTP) device. the system requirements listed are for plays for sure and DRM tracks. i could be wrong but that is probably why they only list XP and vista, WMP 10+.

Message Edited by drlucky on 02-27-2008 08:15 PM

I think you’re right–but in doing so, that ignores all the Linux and Mac folks, as well as the Windows people with older machines and who don’t care about DRM music.  It just seems like such a shame for SanDisk to limit itself that way, with such a great device, where there’s no need.

to be fair, i think a linux user will know off the bat (or alteast know how to figure ti out) if it will or wont work. Mac users, different market, and windows drms wont work on it.

As much as what you say makes somewhat sense, i doubt the marketing team will do it.

Probably too busy to visit the forum :smileyvery-happy:

I agree with you --it just seems a shame.  In the end, I think SanDisk approached this from the Plays for Sure angle and the external drive angle just kinda backdoored its way in.  In my humble opinion, that side of the player should have been played up from the beginning.

Im no marketing major (by far, im more tech) and these 2 worlds are polar oppisites.

What makes sense to techs, doesn’t make sense to marketing people. It’s a shame, because if marketing listened to the techs a bit more, the company wouldn’t have to deal with such negative feedback, since the answer is out there, properly, from the beginning.

I wonder if their concern is that if the player doesn’t *easily* work with an OS, out of the box, there’ll be a bad “buzz” generated and that’ll hurt sales.

Not having a Mac or Linux installation, I don’t know how easily the Clip works with either one.  I think that people have said that the Clip shows up in Linux in MSC mode without any additional work, so that may not be a problem (and as someone said, Linux folks are usually techies who could figure it all out on their own, anyway).  Mac … not so sure.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-29-2008 08:38 AM

PromisedPlanet wrote:

I wonder if their concern is that if the player doesn’t *easily* work with an OS, out of the box, there’ll be a bad “buzz” generated and that’ll hurt sales.

Not having a Mac or Linux installation, I don’t know how easily the Clip works with either one.  I think that people have said that the Clip shows up in Linux in MSC mode without any additional work, so that may not be a problem (and as someone said, Linux folks are usually techies who could figure it all out on their own, anyway).  Mac … not so sure.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-29-2008 08:38 AM

good point.

PromisedPlanet wrote:

Yeah, but how easily does the Clip work with Windows and Windows Media Player?  Look at these forums!!  :wink:  MTP & MSC modes?  Sync problems?

I think users of all 3 OS’s (Windows, Mac, Linux) will have their own problems and this may have nothing to do with their tech abilities.

SteveG wrote:

PromisedPlanet wrote:

Yeah, but how easily does the Clip work with Windows and Windows Media Player?  Look at these forums!!  :wink:  MTP & MSC modes?  Sync problems?

I think users of all 3 OS’s (Windows, Mac, Linux) will have their own problems and this may have nothing to do with their tech abilities.

Good point again. Training for the sandisk techs must take a quite a few weeks to learn all that stuff, theres tons of products and specifics you would have to know. And i bet they dont even really start learning untill they get on the phones and deal with issues.

Thats what my experience with tech support for this other company was like. At least they paid for the training though.

Enigma wrote:

Good point again. Training for the sandisk techs must take a quite a few weeks to learn all that stuff, theres tons of products and specifics you would have to know. And i bet they dont even really start learning untill they get on the phones and deal with issues.

And I bet if they had any formalized training, it was on Windows.  :wink:

Revisiting history, I might have originally marketed the Clip as an MSC player with MTP capabilities, if the user’s computer is compliant.  With MSC set as the default, that would have gotten rid of a significant number of issues.

SanDisk may be taking the approach of formally marketing the device to the Joe SixPack end-user/consumer, focusing on maximum ease-of-use and where full-functionality is available,  but relying on underground marketing and word-of-mouth on technical blogs to spread the word regarding the limited functionality available across a wider number of platforms. 

plooger wrote:

SanDisk may be taking the approach of formally marketing the device to the Joe SixPack end-user/consumer, focusing on maximum ease-of-use and where full-functionality is available,  but relying on underground marketing and word-of-mouth on technical blogs to spread the word regarding the limited functionality available across a wider number of platforms. 

does that mean I’m an underground technical blog spreader? Sounds hott

Miikerman wrote:

Revisiting history, I might have originally marketed the Clip as an MSC player with MTP capabilities, if the user’s computer is compliant.  With MSC set as the default, that would have gotten rid of a significant number of issues.

“Your Clip will show up as a removable disk with an assigned drive letter!  But if you want to load subscription music, such as songs bought at the Best Buy Digital Music Store ™, read the exciting instructions on page 12 of your User’s Manual!”

:wink:

@enigma wrote:

@plooger wrote:

does that mean I’m an underground technical blog spreader? Sounds hott

Yes, Enigma, we are _outside the Matrix!!

_
I woudn’t go so far as to describe the situation as “limited functionality”, unless the intent is to compare against one of those “this is the way we make it and you better like it” machines that want to be fed with gift cards…

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Enjoying my limited functionality.  Pass me another beer, please.

neutron_bob wrote:

Yes, Enigma, we are outside the Matrix!!

Are you sure?  Maybe you moved from an inner Matrix shell to an outer Matrix shell.