Imbedded art in mp3 files- or not

Can anyone explain why some mp3 files have the art imbedded and others do not?

Is there a way to “see” this art in the mp3 file or just whether there is art there or not?

Is there a way to add or imbed art to an mp3 file rather than just including a jpg file in the album folder?

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Can anyone explain why some mp3 files have the art imbedded and others do not?

Is there a way to “see” this art in the mp3 file or just whether there is art there or not?

Is there a way to add or imbed art to an mp3 file rather than just including a jpg file in the album folder?

Some files have art because they are properly tagged. The only way I can figure to see art with out haveing to play the file is to open them in a program like mp3tag. This program will also add the art. I use Media Monkey for this because I like its ability to auto tag from amazon and has a quick key so I dont have to do a ton of clicking.

If being able to tell if a particular file has embedded album art, encoder & bit rated used during the creation of said file (and other information) is important to you; DbPowerAmp will give you all of this data without opening the file.  Just hover your mouse over the filename and all the above information is displayed (providing you have this feature activated within DbPowerAmp).

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 03-05-2009 05:35 AM

OK, so the last question is:

If I have a file that was created without imbedded art, can I force art to be embedded?

This situation occurs when I make my own complation “album” folders with tracks from other sources; some of which have imbedded art and some of which do not and therefore rely on having an albumart.jpg in the original album folder.

So in this case, there’s part A and B…

Part A is if the file has NO art and I want to imbed art

Part B is if the file already has art and you want to REPLACE it.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

OK, so the last question is:

If I have a file that was created without imbedded art, can I force art to be embedded?

This situation occurs when I make my own complation “album” folders with tracks from other sources; some of which have imbedded art and some of which do not and therefore rely on having an albumart.jpg in the original album folder.

So in this case, there’s part A and B…

Part A is if the file has NO art and I want to imbed art

Part B is if the file already has art and you want to REPLACE it.

Of course you can change the tag into an embedded album art file if you desire, as well as strip it or replace it.  Almost any of the tagging programs will allow you to do this.  I know both MP3Tag and Tag & Rename have this capability… as these are the programs I use the most.

Thanks, I need to get up and running on MP3TAG.

So far I’ve been able to do what I needed to using “Properties/Advanced” in Windows Explorer.